igniton switch prob

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Default igniton switch prob

ok i have a 1984 camaro came with a 305 but now has a 400ci sb in it and i can turn the car on with the key but when i go to turn it off with the key it keeps running lol after doing some research and asking around i find its the igniton switch....... did anyone else run into this problem with there cars or no?

Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: igniton switch prob

I sort of had the same problem..but the car didnt keep running..when the ignition was on the off setting..the radio would keep running..then i found out what i had to do..i would have to go and put the car in drive and put it in park again to get it to turn off..then sometimes the ignition would lock up and i couldnt turn it on..

Old 09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My 87 305 would "diesel", turn over a few times after I cut it off, due to 1 - retarded timing and 2 - rich carb. Don't know about that ignition though, but I will say that once mine is started, I can remove the key and leave it running no prob.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Does the car start back up w/ the key after you get it shut off? You may have your dist. power wire hooked up to the wrong wire. The ignition switch is still a possibility.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:22 PM

yea it starts back up i noticed it after it being in storage and then i had a blown trans and had to rebuild my carb so didnt drive it this summer so i just kinda started doing out of no where the first time i started it since it being stored and has ever since

Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM

TRY THIS WITH THE IGNITION ON USING A TEST LIGHT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE POWER ON THE DIST. POWER WIRE. TURN THE KEY OFF AND RECHECK. THERE SHOULD BE NO POWER WITH THE KEY OFF. IF YOU STILL HAVE POWER WITH THE KEY OFF MAKE SURE ITS WIRED CORRECTLY (NOT TO THE WIPER POWER/COOLING FAN ETC..) IF WIRED PROPERLY ITS PROBABLY IN THE SWITCH

Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 PM

i will check that but like would it just out of the blue be like HEY im wired wrong and do it? i ran the car for a whole summer no problem put it away for winter brought it back out and BAM it wont turn off with the key lol

Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM

well it wouldnt just switch wires on its own. the ignition switch is ussually located on the steering colunm (under the dash) and relativly inexpensive. you can try to start it then unplug the switch and see if the car stops. if it does the switch is probably bad.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM

yea i know where it is and how much just since the trans needed rebuilt and all that **** havnt actually replaced it yet...

Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Overdrive Member

are you talking about it deiseling after you turn the key off or the engine running smooth as it was with the ignition on?
Deiseling would be the ignitin timing off. If its just running normal and not shutting off then it should be the ignition switch not cutting off power.

Quick Reply: igniton switch prob