i need help with paformance ofr my 92 camaro rs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Default i need help with paformance ofr my 92 camaro rs

i have a 92 camaro rs with a 305 i think i just got it not to long ago i need some help because i wont to try to get it more power but not really really expensive and some times when im driving it it get in a dead spot and do wont to get up and go is that normal i really wont that in my car i wont it to sound good and be fast thats alot dustin

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sorry, but that one really hurts my eyes.....There, that's better:
Originally Posted by 92 CaMaRo RS
I have a 92 camaro RS with a 305, I think. I just got it not too long ago. I need some help because I want to try to get it more power, but not really really expensive. And, sometimes when I'm driving, it gets in a dead spot and doesn't want to get up and go. Is that normal? I really want that in my car. I want it to sound good and be fast, that's a lot. Sincerely, Dustin

I think I decoded your message? Is that what you were saying?
You maybe want a better flowing exhaust, and to make it perform better all-around? Your dead spot could be anything from needing a tune-up to a dirty gas filter, or air filter.
A while back, I posted a TBI filter enhancement that I did to my 91. If you can't find it through a search, I'll try to find it.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 PM

yea i ment that i wanted it to get up and go i dont wont the dead spot and i just put a new set of spark plugs in and it seem to help alot but i still wont more power i might change the fuel filter and i there and thing else i can put on it to make it have more power but no over 500 dollars i was just going to put a flowmaster 40 serise muffler on it and take the cat. out and i hop that will sound beter

Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sorry, but that one really hurts my eyes.....There, that's better:

I think I decoded your message? Is that what you were saying?
You maybe want a better flowing exhaust, and to make it perform better all-around? Your dead spot could be anything from needing a tune-up to a dirty gas filter, or air filter.
A while back, I posted a TBI filter enhancement that I did to my 91. If you can't find it through a search, I'll try to find it.
and i cant find ur post

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

OK, here's my air cleaner upgrade thread: https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/open-air-cleaner-install-305-tbi-28278/
Keep in mind, this isn't a tire-smoking modification, but more of a "every little bit helps" changeover. And when you look at the before and after pics, you'll see the difference it makes.
If you're planning on making the exhaust breathe better, then your intake needs to breathe better as well. Unfortunately, the biggest hold-back with this 305 is the heads. They're not heavy breathers, nor are they high rpm heads either. The only way you're going to get the full potential (such as it is) out of your 305, would be with a pair of better heads.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM

OK, here's my air cleaner upgrade thread: https://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28278
Keep in mind, this isn't a tire-smoking modification, but more of a "every little bit helps" changeover. And when you look at the before and after pics, you'll see the difference it makes.
If you're planning on making the exhaust breathe better, then your intake needs to breathe better as well. Unfortunately, the biggest hold-back with this 305 is the heads. They're not heavy breathers, nor are they high rpm heads either. The only way you're going to get the full potential (such as it is) out of your 305, would be with a pair of better heads.
pk thanks how much are the heads do u think

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM

hey i was going to do ur air cleaner thing to mine car today and what do u do with the tube that hooks on to the head and conects to the filter cuz the one like u put on urs u cant put it on there

Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I put a push-in breather into the grommet on the valve cover. In one of my pics, you can see a chrome breather laying sideways that I had sitting around and temporarily stuck onto the factory pipe. That one had the wrong sized nipple to fit the valve cover, but I used it until I got the right one. Auto Zone has them. Also be sure to transfer the air temp sensor that's in the base of the old air cleaner to the new one.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 PM

I put a push-in breather into the grommet on the valve cover. In one of my pics, you can see a chrome breather laying sideways that I had sitting around and temporarily stuck onto the factory pipe. That one had the wrong sized nipple to fit the valve cover, but I used it until I got the right one. Auto Zone has them. Also be sure to transfer the air temp sensor that's in the base of the old air cleaner to the new one.
ok thanks is there any thingelse that u have to do

Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 PM
March 2008 ROTM

what are you looking for out of this car? There really isnt much power to be had out of a stock 305. Like Camaro 69 said, the heads are such a HUGE power robber from the motor. Get a set of aftermarket heads, or at least better flowing heads. Look to spend anywhere from 500 bucks for an OK pair, too well over a grand for a good set of aftermarket heads. Or you could always do the typical 350 swap. But you need to have a good idea of whats going on for that.