I know this may be dumb But how do I know if my 4 barrel is opening

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Default I know this may be dumb But how do I know if my 4 barrel is opening

Let me apologize in advance and please don't hate on me. This forum has been a great help to me with some other things. But this morning when I went to start the car I push the gas down and it went down with no resistance and I realised that something was wrong.

I recently purchased this car anyway I popped the hood and noticed the throttle cable had actually been zip tied to the carb, and the zip tie had broke. So I got a new one and redid it. I know this is not ideal but I had to get the car to move so I did what I had to.

Anyway there is a cable right below the throttle cable I am not sure what it is maybe cruise or something maybe someone can tell me. Anyway when I start the car and then I rev the engine I only notice 2 of the flaps ever opening and on my last car all four would open when I revved it high. Does this mean the 4 barrel is not opening up? If so does anyone know how to fix this? I apologize in advance if this is stupid.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are we talking about a Quadrajet carb, or what?
1.) With the engine off, look down the carb and make sure the throttle is opening up all the way (primary throttle blades completely vertical) with someone else putting the gas pedal to the floor.
2.) The secondaries on a Q-jet are locked out by the choke linkage so that they don't open until the engine warms and the choke opens. That prevents you from stressing a cold engine.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Are we talking about a Quadrajet carb, or what?
Sorry it is a 650 Holly 4 barrel carb

Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're more than likely not going to have the secondaries opening all the way up for you while just revving the engine in the driveway. Watching these videos may be helpful to you. The first one goes over the choke. The second shows the anatomy of the carb. Ahhhh, but you're probably asking, "how do I know if the secondaries are opening all the way while I'm driving"? Watch the third video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YCbkaXuqvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FFfBZ3qgv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXUFwaWo_rQ

Old 11-14-2010, 10:50 PM

thanks for the videos that is a big help

Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

If the car has an auto trans, the cable below the throttle cable is the TV cable, if there are three cables: one is throttle, the one below is TV, and the third is cruise.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM

If the car has an auto trans, the cable below the throttle cable is the TV cable
I Have an automatic and that cable is just there it is not hooked up anything. Does anyone know if it is necessary to have it hooked up?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by jmonda
I Have an automatic and that cable is just there it is not hooked up anything. Does anyone know if it is necessary to have it hooked up?
YES, it needs to be hooked up, the trans won't shift right without it. And, if your car still has the 700R4 (assuming nobody swapped it for something else), you'll eventually burn up the transmission leaving it disconnected. Sounds like somebody did a hack job carb conversion? The provisions might not be on the carb yet, for hooking up the TV cable
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/tvcable.htm

Last edited by Camaro 69; 11-15-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Sounds like somebody did a hack job carb conversion?
Yep that is obviously what has happened that T.V. cable is not even hooked up nor do I see anywhere to hook it up. I guess I am going to have to see if my mechanic can figure this one out because I have no idea what to do in this situation. Maybe I need a whole new carb or something because with the throttle cable being zip tied and now this.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No, you don't need a new carb, you just need to make provisions (the right way) for what you have. Read through the link below. If nothing else, you can print it out to take to your mechanic if setting up the TV is beyond your capabilities. However, a good mechanic should know how.
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Quick Reply: I know this may be dumb But how do I know if my 4 barrel is opening