I know I'm crazy, swapping the engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Default I know I'm crazy, swapping the engine

My 18 year old son, my husband and I started an AWESOME project last summer. We got a FREE 1983 Camaro w/T-Tops, blown 2.8 liter V-6. My husband professionally paints Genie lifts, and his friend has a homemade paint shop, so he and my son did all the work and put new paint on the car. My son and his friend completely redid the interior. Then, our 1979 Chevy Suburban threw a seal and died, so my son and I completely rebuilt the 5.7 L V-8 350 and took the tranny, and now have both in the Camaro. We swapped out the front coil springs. We are seriously learning while we go along...We just got the Camaro driveline back (it needed to be shortened). I'm concerned about the radiator - will the V-6 radiator support the V-8? and looks like I need a new fan shroud. Tight fit for everything. Can't find our Power steering pump bracket. It's my job to figure out all the wiring issues. It has been a blast doing all this work with my son (my husband is not really interested in helping with the mechanical stuff - but does come and help loosen bolts). Our goal is to get the car on the road by mid-April. It's my son's senior year in high school! We are seriously building lifelong memories! Wish us luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I know I'm crazy, swapping the engine

you need a v 8 radiator

Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 PM

Yeah, compared to the one that was in the Suburban (which is too wide) the V-6 one is tiny. Thank you!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

find one at junk yard out of a camaro or just buy a new one with no junk in it and know your new motor will be cool should be able to get one for less than a 100

Old 02-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Overdrive Member

You must be 1 cool Crazymomma!
I am nor sure about the 2.8 Camaros' but on the S10s the necks are on the wrong side for the upper and lower hoses. (I am doing a 2.8 to 4.3 swap in my mom's S10 and it is that way)
Good Luck and Have Fun

Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

id pick up a 2 core aluminum (i will be getting one in the spring). autozone has them for about $130 as a direct fit replacement. is the tranny an auto or stick? if its auto, you will probably need the trans cooler lines to hook into the rad

Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Like most things on the project...we're going to cross that bridge, SOON, I'm heading to the wrecking yard in about an hour, with my digital photos in hand. It's been hard not knowing exactly what I'm doing, luckily I like working on cars, and I'm a quick learner. And, my son does think I'm a pretty cool mom! What's that worth to me? PRICELESS!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:37 PM

The tranny is an automatic, and does have the tran cooling lines coming up on the passenger side of the engine. In the Camaro the lines, which we still have are flexible, long enough and so will reach. The suburban lines were not flexible, and of course, way too long, so we're hoping the Camaro lines will work. But, stuff always comes up as we go along, so...

Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 PM

I had a great time at the wrecking yard. Got the power steering pump bracket, and a radiator. Unfortunately, I had to get the bracket that also has the extra bracket for AC, so it won't look as good, for now. The radiator is from a Seville, is heavy duty, beautiful, and fits like a glove. So far, so good this weekend. Our main goal right now is to get everything together, so we can start it!!! I HOPE when all is said and done, that it will at least turn over.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Overdrive Member

You got the radiator out of a Cadillac? I think we all may of learned something from you today. [sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: I know I'm crazy, swapping the engine