I got some problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Default I got some problems...

All right guys, I've got an '85 Berlinetta 2.8L V6 Camaro and I'm having a few problems, and I'm pretty much stumped...
Problem number 1:
When the engine reaches a speed of ~1200 RPMs, it starts sputtering and shaking the car a bit. However, it starts easily and running the engine faster smooths it out. I've tried unplugging each spark plug one by one to check if it's a compression problem, but it stillsputters and runs a bit rough from being unplugged. If anybody wants to hear what it sounds like, I can go find my microphone and record it.

Problem number two:
Check engine light is on ALMOST all the time, and code scanner says there are no fault codes (but I know it works because I've used it on my camaro before). When I start it up on a cold morning, the check engine light doesn't come on until the engine warms up a little bit. I've tried the paperclip test between pins A and B (the two on the top right)on the diagnostics jack, but it does NOT flash code 12. Instead, it doesn't flash at all and it turns on my fuel pump and radiator fan. (WTF?)

Problem number three:
Digital spedometer and tach don't come on for a while after I start it on a cold morning. I'm thinking it's just old and worn out, unless someone else knows of a similar problem?

And this probably is just because it has a small engine, butit just doesn't have much horsepower... I can put it in first gear and floor it and it is incapable of screeching the tires. I think that's kinda strange because my dad's minivan with the same size engine (2.8L V6)has noticeably more power and I have accidentally screech the tires once...

I hope you like solving problems

Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: I got some problems...

Check for codes again. Instead of going to A+B they should be two black wires. Or one black and one black with a white stripe. Maybe for some odd reason yours got moved around.
The 2.8 is not a power house. But a trick to laying rubber would be to slightly over inflate the tires. It will give less of a contact patch which means less traction.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:53 PM

I've checked for codes again, and there are some now, but that's only because I unplugged two sensors and the problem codes match those. I tried to look at the wires going to the jack, but there's too much plastic in the way and it would require a bit of work to remove the cover. I'm sure the wires are fine though, because the diagnostics / code reader gives me all kinds of info like engine speed, throttle position sensor voltage,oxygen sensor voltage, mass airflow sensor... There's a lot of info, and I've compared it to some old readings I've taken before and there really isn't much difference.
And about the engine sputtering, I forgot to mention that it also does it while I'm driving. Usually when I'm taking off from a stop sign, it just doesn't wanna move until I push the gas pedal about half way to the floor, then it suddenly takes off.
And about laying rubber: I'm not really trying to do a burn out, I'm just saying that it doesn't have as much power as I think it should.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I think I know what the problem is now. I had some bare wires going to my air conditioner compressor relay that shorted out and I think it might have screwed up the computer a bit. It says in the camaro book that if one of the switches in the ECM goes bad, it could mess up the others too. So, I'm taking out the ECM and I'm gonna test it and see if I can tell if it's bad...

edit: Replaced ECM, no more problems... (except for speedometer and tachometer)