How much play should rear axle have? (in/out)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: How much play should rear axle have? (in/out)

That's a real shame. I hope you can get around that some day. Losing the enjoyment of working on cars is something I've dreaded since I first found out people lost interest in things they do all the time. Good luck on getting out of your fifteen year rut..

Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

MadMikeZ28: So, in your opinion, is a small amount of in/out play normal? How much is normal? What other reasons could cause this type of behavior?

Wow, Dyno-Butt, I like that. It must work well with ther old fashioned ghetto/redneck tune up procedure. (open hood, rev engine several times to impress friends while pointing out suspect parts. Rev again...)

FlufyTiger: Its true that you loose interest in everyday things. I lost my interest once you needed a friggen computer to diagnose car problems. Thats why I went with the 82 Camaro.....no computer parts or chips or sensors! Fuel, air and spark. Im not a real advanced mechanic, slightly better than your average shade tree guy, and I wanted something simple to work on. (And something to keep me busy during the 6 months we in upstate NY call winter.......)

Old 09-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Overdrive Member

Yes a little play is normal. As long as you do not have any up and down sisde to side you should be good.

And dont think wrong about my bro. He is a great mechanic. He surpasses his forman. He has been in a shop profesionaly since about 1990. I myself wanted to do the whole nine yards so for over 20 years I did autobody and mechanical. Mostly body work in the early years and wanted a change of scenery. So in 2004 I opened a auto and motocycle service and repair shop. But due to unforunate circumstanses not only with a partner but a life long health issue now I sit at home and when I have enough strength I go into my garage and work on the engine swap in my mom's S10. Coming onto this message board kinda fills the void.

As for computer cars...I still have my Snap-On Modis scanner.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 AM
June 2007 ROTM

just a question but did this year not have c clip in the rear for pos rears? I have all pos rear in my cars and all have c clips now they are all first gens too

Old 09-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I could be mistaken then. All the posis' I worked on I had to remove bolts from the backing plates to pull the axels out. But they were newer vehicles. I do have the Borge Warner 9 bolt and I have to pull it apart this way. I am only speaking from expirience and this style is all I have seen.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear member

I can tell you that some Dana 44 rears, 60 rears, and 8 and 9 inch fords and some early GM's are non c-clip axles. Pretty much everything else is, posi or no posi, excluding custom built rearends. I admit I have never messed with a BW 9 bolt, so, I can't argue with you on that MadMike. Everytime we get, say a 10 bolt with govloc, we toss the whole carrier and install an Auburn posi unit. same gose for the ford 8.8 and Chrysler's tracloc. I have repaired quite a few catasrophic carrier failues due, inpart, to clutch retainer failure, on the tracloc and 8.8, and with the govloc it's simply drivers not knowing that you cant smoke the tires around corners. I'll try to get some pics posted so you can see what I'm talking about.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

you have to becareful with that side to side slack. my experience found that the inside of the carrier where the spacer for the axle gear is located had wore down from years of abuse. cost me alot of time and a few bucks to figure out what the problem was. the spacer was actually embedded in the carrier. it would still spin free but the wear produced undesireable slack. when i speak of spacer i'm referring to the axle gear spacer. not the carrier or pinion spacer. the remedy is to add simular spacers to take up the slack or get a new carrier. Sick

Old 09-14-2006, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: v8chvyguy

I can tell you that some Dana 44 rears, 60 rears, and 8 and 9 inch fords and some early GM's are non c-clip axles. Pretty much everything else is, posi or no posi, excluding custom built rearends. I admit I have never messed with a BW 9 bolt, so, I can't argue with you on that MadMike. Everytime we get, say a 10 bolt with govloc, we toss the whole carrier and install an Auburn posi unit. same gose for the ford 8.8 and Chrysler's tracloc. I have repaired quite a few catasrophic carrier failues due, inpart, to clutch retainer failure, on the tracloc and 8.8, and with the govloc it's simply drivers not knowing that you cant smoke the tires around corners. I'll try to get some pics posted so you can see what I'm talking about.
I finally got some pics showing what happens when you rag on an 8.5" 10 bolt with GovLoc. This pic is not the worst that I've repaired. The one prior to this one I had to section out with a torch in order to remove the c-clips.