How much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Default How much?

Would it cost to buy a used 350 and have a shop do the swap and rebuild?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: How much?

too much. end of story.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

i saw a site with used engines and trannies for under 500. for camaros. all types. ill see if i can find it again. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...p;Category=413

Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

you should definately see about getting a lift and doin it yourself. you will have much more pride that way, and a lot more money lol. because paying someone else to do it, lets just say you could buy another 3rd gen with a 350 in it.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

how about u do it the real camaro guy way. go to a junkyard and take a carburated 350 out of a old car. dont worry about nothing being broke except the block make sure the block looks strong. get pistons, and the edelbrock bolt on horsepower top end kit comes with heads camshaft, roller rockers, all ur gaskets ect. and go from there.. i see 350motors in the junkyard for 200dollars and as far as the swap if ur mechanically inclined u could do it urself.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM

I think I could learn. I'll try and do it myself with the help of you guys and previous posts.

When I go to the junkyard.. what do I look for in terms of 350s...

Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

I just did my first engine swap this weekend. Spend some time doing a little research and you will be fine. If you cando other mechanical stuff, you can do this. The biggest problems you will encounter are needing an engine hoist and an engine stand. I borrowed a hoist and purchased a stand from harbor freight for 35 bucks. Swapped it out right in my garage. I dont have any monster garage setup either, just a real basic 2 car houseand a craftsman 3 tier box of tools. Look around for an engine, they can be had for about 200-400 bucks in the paper. Lots of guys rebuild a motor, run it for a few seasons and either go to a bigger engine or crash the car. (I got mine from a buddy who rebuilt the engine, put 20K on it, and the car just rotted off its frame fowm winters up north)...Avoid ebay and the likes, shipping will KILL you and who knows what your buying. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear member

the paper and local speed shops are great places to find engines. i have bought more than a few engines that were built for "project cars" that never got finished. most of the time they have really good parts in them and they go for pretty cheap. if you can hear the engine run, that's always a plus , and try to buy from someone that is a "car guy" alot of times they want to see it after you get it done, i think it makes them feel alittle better about selling. and get a chiltons...alot of the time they are worthless, but sometimes they actually have some decent info inside.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Look at Craigslist.org in your area. I just saw in my area a wrecks Camaro for $1500 with an LT1. But there are engines on there all the time. And HOOKERS! (they charge roses. I got my garden started)