Help with Rear End RPO Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
This way only works on a limited slip rear. With an open diff, you leave one wheel on the ground, and turn the free wheel two revolutions instead of one. The limited slip method above does turn the wheels two revolutions as well, one revolution on the left and one on the right=2. That's how the differential rolls!
But, if you have no maintenance history on the car, the best method is to remove the diff cover, clean everything out, inspect the gears etc., and change the oil. Oh, and while you just happen to be inside, check the gear ratio. The ring gear usually has numbers stamped on the edge. Divide the small number into the big number, and that's the ratio. Or, you could also count the ring & pinion gears and do the same math.
I think this is the best answer yet. You should change the differential oil anyway. It's one of the most neglected reservoirs on many cars. Many owners never change it out. If it is a posi, you will need an additive for it to work correctly. Again if it is a TPI, it's probably 3:23 posi.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all the advice. Changing the oil is a great idea, especially since the cover is leaking anyway. I'll probably put an aftermarket cover on it, too.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So, went to change the gear oil, removed the cover...and the rear end is shot. The magnet on the cover was full of junk, and there were large pieces of metal on that and in the bottom of the rear end. Definitely a posi, but I didn't bother figuring out what gears since I'm going to have to have it rebuilt anyway.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Large chunks of metal? How large? Are you getting rearend noise? Did you turn the tires to see if you have posi or open differential? Gunk on the magnet is normal, chunks are not.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, we need to see pictures of the scene of the crime. As Stevo said, a build up of metallic gunk on the magnet is perfectly normal.
Can you tell what the pieces of metal came from, are there chunks missing from the gears?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

There may have been some minimal damage to what ever, but if you are not getting noise, or vibrations, You probably won't have to rebuild your rearend. You did not mention any mechanical problems, you just wanted rpo info. I'd clean everything in the pig out with break cleaner, fill it back up, and run the **** out of it.

69 did mention pics of the crime scene, so post some before putting everything back together.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

....or before taking everything apart!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

On the way home from buying the car, there was a weird unexplained noise - definitely could have been from the rear end.

This isn't metal gunk, but rather large pieces of metal, some almost the size of dimes (but very thin). The gears look pretty chewed up, too. I saved some of the debris, I'll try to post a picture of it.

When you spin the tires or the driveshaft, it makes some clicking noises and there seems to be a lot of play, if that makes sense.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by fronzizzle
On the way home from buying the car, there was a weird unexplained noise - definitely could have been from the rear end.

This isn't metal gunk, but rather large pieces of metal, some almost the size of dimes (but very thin). The gears look pretty chewed up, too. I saved some of the debris, I'll try to post a picture of it.

When you spin the tires or the driveshaft, it makes some clicking noises and there seems to be a lot of play, if that makes sense.
Almost sounds like pieces of ring gear spacer. Was it thin stuff? PICS(please)

Old 07-30-2011, 05:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, thin stuff. And lots of it. I collected some pieces, I'll clean them up and post pictures tomorrow.

As for what rear end it is...ugh. So confused. Looked different inside compared to any rear end I've seen. With car in park and back wheels up, I could spin one tire one way and the other moved the other way. If I spun the driveshaft, both tires moved the same way. However, I could only move the drive shaft so far either way before it just stopped.

Quick Reply: Help with Rear End RPO Codes