help with over heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Default help with over heating problem

hey just found camaro form, i have 89 camaro need info about over heating problem.
replace coolant temp sensor, fan works when i turn on AC, but doesn't come on any other time.

runs hot at idle and on the road.

don't know much about cars, but do much as i can my self

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Default RE: help with over heating problem

ORIGINAL: red89

hey just found camaro form, i have 89 camaro need info about over heating problem.
replace coolant temp sensor, fan works when i turn on AC, but doesn't come on any other time.

runs hot at idle and on the road.

don't know much about cars, but do much as i can my self

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
Just how hot is it running?

I would change the thermostat first.

Make sure the radiator is not plugged-up.

It could even be a bad temp sending unit for the temp guage.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Old 07-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

fan switch, located under the passenger side cylinder head. stock replacement is about 20, aftermarket 195* switch is about 40. i would personally change that, since my 89 RS had the same problem and changing the switch fixed it

Old 07-20-2005, 06:38 PM

thanks ofr info, will give it a try

Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 PM

New here myself & a UK owner, i had the same worry when i first got my 1991 Z28, seemed to be running very hot, took it to a local garage, left it running for over an hour, the Temp went up to over 220, over halfway on the guage but then one of the fans cuts in & keeps it stable....
Apparently the 2nd fan will cut in only when it needs to, I have since read about this & it is totally normal for a 3rd Gen, so if yours is doing the same, try not to worry about it

Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM

Also make sure air dam is still on underneath radiator support. 82-92 bad about running hot if air dam not in place. Good luck

Old 08-01-2005, 09:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi, i have a 96 with the similar over heating problem as described in this forum. The fans only work when the air is turned on. Is there a exact fix for this problem?

thanks

Old 08-09-2005, 07:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

HEY THERE, I HAVE AN 86 IROC-Z, WHEN I FIRST GOT IT IT WAS OVERHEATING JUST LIKE YOURS. I CHANGED THE STOCK 195 THERMO. WITH A 160, AND FLUSHED MY RADIATOR AND ADDED DEXCOOL ORANGE TO IT. IT MADE A TREMENDOUS DEFERENCE OF ABOUT 60 DEGREES COOLER. TRY THAT IT WORKED FOR ME AND MIGHT FOR YOU. AARON

Old 08-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Droid

The car is designed to run hot. The thermostat opens at 185, The fans are controlled by the ECU and set to come on at low speed at 225 and go to high speed at 232. The AC forces the fans on whenever it is turned on because the AC condenser needs the airflow. So if the car is not moving and the AC is off, the temperature will go to 225 before the fans kick in. MAke sure you have the right antifreeze mix, 100% antifreeze does not cool good, also make sure the cooling sytem is bled, by opening the vent valves to let the air out.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Droid

The car is designed to run hot. The thermostat opens at 185, The primary fan comes on at 225 and the secondary fan kicks in at 232. The AC forces the fans on whenever it is turned on because the AC condenser needs the airflow. So if the car is not moving and the AC is off, the temperature will go to 225 before the fans kick in. MAke sure you have the right antifreeze mix, 100% antifreeze does not cool good, also make sure the cooling sytem is bled, by opening the vent valves, if so equipped, to let the air out. There are kits for this car to bring in the fans sooner.

Quick Reply: help with over heating problem