Help dropping the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Default Help dropping the gas tank

I have a 92 rs camaro and cant figure out how to get the gas tank to drop. I've already removed the lateral bars and the straps on the gas tank but the thing simply will not even nudge outta its position. any help will be appreciated!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Disconnect all the fuel lines on the drivers side near the filter, and the wire connector that's up in the hump. Remove the rear exhaust, the heat shield, the shocks from the lower mounts, the gas cap and inner gas door trim. Jack the back of the car by the body way up in the air until the tires start to come off the ground, and remove the right spring.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

hah...sounds fun.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
March 2008 ROTM

orrrr..

do like i did and COMPLETELY remove my driveline and then go at it..

Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

my exhaust was welded, so i cut the hanger at the car and dropped the rear enough to wedge it out. if you dont want to do it the correct way, you can cut a hole in the floor to get to the top of the tank

Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by microkid
if you dont want to do it the correct way, you can cut a hole in the floor to get to the top of the tank
That ain't gonna work, not in a good way anyhow. I tried that way first, and the ONLY way you'll get the sending unit/pump assembly twisted out of the top of the tank is if you cut some of the hard steel lines, one of which is the high pressure supply line. Then you would have to flare the cut lines in order to reconnect them, if you happen to have a double flaring tool. Just connecting the high pressure fuel line back together with a rubber hose is a recipe for disaster. Dropping the tank is the way to do it, unfortunately.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah trust me there are no shortcuts for dropping the gas tank. i was trying to replace the fuel pump and figured i wouldnt have to drop the whole rear end out. well you really do. you cant twist it out of there without doing exactly what the haynes manual says and it will look like this:

Attached Thumbnails Help dropping the gas tank-0504090724-01.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And here's mine. If you look at the picture of the top of the tank, those hard lines travel to the front of the tank, head over to the drivers side of the car, and then drop down the side of the tank. There's NO way the sending unit is going to come up a little, then bend 90 degrees like it needs to so it can lift out of the tank. At least now the car has a handy access panel to get to the wiring.
Name:  _Camaro_Jacked_Side_Cropped.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  18.7 KB
Name:  _Camaro_Jacked_Back_Cropped.jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  _91Camaro_Tank_Access_Cropped.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  22.3 KB
Name:  _91Camaro_Tank_AccessPanel_Cropped.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  17.5 KB

Old 07-18-2009, 03:01 AM
2nd Gear member

u guys got lucky. my exhaust was fully welded and my shock mounts were super rusted.. i ended up cutting my filler neck to make room.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no i definitely was not lucky because my track bar was rusted on so much (previous owner thought it could be a good michigan winter car....?) i tried penetrating oil, torch, breaker bars, etc. eventually i just got a hack saw out, but the bolts are hardened so i went through about 3 blades for each bolt. then went to my local dealer and had to order new ones. then i forgot about the brake line so i stretched that out a little, but its not leaking yet.....but in the end it saved me about 540 bucks so it was worth it

Quick Reply: Help dropping the gas tank