Help :)!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012 | 08:14 PM
|
Smile Help :)!!

Alright guys, im turning 17 my father has given me permission to spend my money finally on a camaro! he had one a 69 z28 when he was my age and i want one now! so i found this:
Chevy Camaro RS 90'
what are things to look out for?
Im semi knowledgable and looking to learn alot about cars from this what do you guys think? is it a good deal?
thanks luke

Old 01-09-2012 | 08:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by minnesotanewbie
Alright guys, im turning 17 my father has given me permission to spend my money finally on a camaro! he had one a 69 z28 when he was my age and i want one now! so i found this:
Chevy Camaro RS 90'
what are things to look out for?
Im semi knowledgable and looking to learn alot about cars from this what do you guys think? is it a good deal?
thanks luke
Dig deeper....if Im going to sell a car, Ill spend 45 bucks on a cheap battery....and 'injector issue' could be anything. If the car doesnt start with a jump and stay running with the jumper cables removed....well, hes lying and you want to walk away. Other than that....its a very fair price if you live in the snowbelt and finding clean cars is a problem.

Old 01-09-2012 | 09:11 PM
|

im in minnesota so rust is a huge problem! and ya i found that a bit odd also? but with these cars what else should i look for?

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:59 AM
|

Anybody else??

Old 01-10-2012 | 09:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Bring a new battery with you (the correct one for that application). If it does not start and run correctly, you either walk away or offer less money and then begin fixing the problem. If you do not have the funds to correctly fix the problem so it is reliable, pay for the car, insure it, and then correctly maintain it then I would suggest to keep looking. Take your time now or you will regret it down the road....

Old 01-10-2012 | 10:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

im in minnesota so rust is a huge problem! and ya i found that a bit odd also? but with these cars what else should i look for?
had the same situation two months ago when I bought my 88. the guy wanted $1600. swapped a battery in and it ran good. I let it idle for 30mins and found carb problems and blow by. pulled out $700 in cash and said take or leave it. a lot of plp on cf just throw a price on their car and Dnt even kno where the oil filter is at, let alone what's wrong with it. just be careful and really dig into what has and hasn't been maintenanced.

Old 01-10-2012 | 10:54 AM
4th Gear Member

overpriced by at least 50%

please don't come back here asking how to get more performance from the vehicle because you are looking at an L03 engine.

If you even have the least inkling that you'll want "high performance" or even "higher performance" then a 2002 or newer Honda minivan will outperform the v6 and 305 3rd gens so I'd suggest the minivan

if performance isn't an issue, then have an inspection done by a knowledgable disinterested adult with ZERO emotional attachment to what type of vehicle you get.

The wider your eyes are opened, the better.

Old 01-10-2012 | 01:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
overpriced by at least 50%

please don't come back here asking how to get more performance from the vehicle because you are looking at an L03 engine.

If you even have the least inkling that you'll want "high performance" or even "higher performance" then a 2002 or newer Honda minivan will outperform the v6 and 305 3rd gens so I'd suggest the minivan

if performance isn't an issue, then have an inspection done by a knowledgable disinterested adult with ZERO emotional attachment to what type of vehicle you get.

The wider your eyes are opened, the better.
I would heed this advice. Thrid gen camaros are cool, and I would never part with mine. I bought it when I was 15 and honestly I am still paying for the mistakes I made nearly 18 years ago. It has taken me years and A LOT of money and time to get that car to where I always thought it should have been day one. The fact is that these year models are poorly perfoming and have been tampered with over and over with each owner trying to get performance out of a motor that wasn't made for it. In the process they most often times perform worse than if were just left alone. If you can find a reliable rust free runner, you are in good shape. Modifications can be done when you have the time, experience, and money.

Old 01-10-2012 | 04:29 PM
|

are they really that slow?? so i would be far off better with a 350?

Old 01-12-2012 | 09:33 AM

are they really that slow?? so i would be far off better with a 350?

The 350 has a much larger aftermarket for it and it does produce more power from the get go. Much more can be done for less to a 350 than a 305. The engines of this generation were very underpowered considering the power that the engine could make. Most people opt out of trying to boost the power on their 305 car though and just replace the whole thing.