HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default HELP!!!!

on the way home today my 89 camaro rs 2.8l t-top started acting weird. while driving at 60 m.p.h all the sudden the rpm's jumped up another 500 rpm's. it did this until i stopped. when i let off the accelerator for literally 2 seconds ( i counted) the check engine light comes on. I pulled the codes: 22 and 44. 22 is TPS and 44 is lean mixture. I just replaced the O2 sensor literally like 3 months ago, and the TPS was replaced 2 yrs ago. Is the TPS going bad again? This also cause my car to get too hot. The temp. gauge read around 230 -240. 260 is the highest i think... help! this is my only vehicle at the moment!!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: HELP!!!!

Did you disconect the battery for about 30 seconds after those items were replaced. Those codes may have just been stored.
Is your car an automatic? You will see the rpm move when the TCC engages and disengages.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM

for staters your temp sholdn't get over 200 or so, might want to clen your radiator. MadMike is probably right on the torque convertor, but when was the last time you changed the tranny filter?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it is automatic, and i did undo the negative battery cable. i might try again tomorrow, maybe i didnt....
whats a TCC? And as for the tranny filter....have no idea. i just got this vehicle a few months ago from family. For all i know its stock. Just seemed funny that the rpm's jump while in the OD gear and no other time. plus the code 22....

Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 AM

TCC: chevy automatic overdrive transmissions (700R4) have a lockup torque convertor that only works when it is in overdrive. The torque covertor locks to transfer full power to the trans. Its diesigned to increase mileage by stopping the natural slipping of the torque convertor. When it locks and unlocks you will notice a change in the rpms. The tranny filter needing to be changed or the torque convertor controller (TCC) can cause abnormal cycling of the torque convertor. Tranny filter changes are a part of the normal mantence that a lot of people neglect. You should change it before it plugs up and does damage. If it doesnt fix the cycling than take a closer look at that controller. Hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks, but would that create a trouble code of 22??

Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 AM

code 22 refers to the tps. check the connector make sure its tight and there is corosion in the connector. becareful when removing the connector that you don't break off the tab. If the connection is ok then replace the tps and disconnect the battery agian.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

just did that and still code 22. the tps is only a year old. planning on replacing it. Also, i have been told the thermostat can be the problem? the temp. does go over 220, then falls to around 195......

Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Everything you stated except the overheating could be caused by the TPS. I have replaced TPS that where less then 6 months old back when those cars where new. While the lean condition will cause and increase in engine temp itshould not overload the cooling system. Damage can occurr over 220 degsand will occur around250degs. If you made it to 260 deg with no damage to the engine you are one lucky fella.

When your TPS(or wiring harness)failed thecomputer could no long maintain the correct fuel mixture that set the code 44. When the computer knows somethingis out of its control it goes into LHM (Limp Home Mode). This is like windows safe mode. It is the bare min needed to keep your engine running. Your TCCis one of the things it turn off in LHM. If this set all at once and will not go away you have a nice clean break that should be easy to fix. Its the come and go issues that are tuff to find.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM

sometimes you have to replace those sensors a few times before you get a good one that will last. as far as the temp thing here are a couple of cheap ways to fix it. first check the overall condition of you radiator. if its in good condition then get some prestone radiator cleaner and some flush and follow the instructions on the bottles. and then get a cooler thermastat like a one made by jet or hypertronics. all of that should run you between 20 and 30 dollars. however be aware that if your radiator isin bad condition ie severly corroded cleaning it may remove corrosion that is plugging a hole or two in the radiator.