Heater Core Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Got it out, however FYI, there are 4 more screws that have to be removed from the plastic holder around the core before it will come out. I didn't have to cut the hoses.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by washtubman
Got it out, however FYI, there are 4 more screws that have to be removed from the plastic holder around the core before it will come out. I didn't have to cut the hoses.
4 screws hold the plastic cover onto the car. The cover is what the heater core is then attached to at the factory but I tossed away those brackets. But, the cover only had 4 screws. Once you remove it from the vehicle, you then need to remove the core from the plastic cover. If you got one of the aftermarket cores then just use foam tape and push the core into the car, then push the cover over that and use the 2 right screws and lower left screw for the cover and you are back in business.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 AM

The job is done! If it goes out again, I'll haul the car to the junkyard. Well maybe not since it only has 31K miles on it. I must say, that is one nasty job to do. Thanks for all the replys.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

31 or 131?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM

31. Actually 30,679.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rusty vango
i replaced mine WITHOUT removing anything except the core cover ,i was done in 1.5 hours however i done mine with the help of a factory manual i ordered from HELM inc i must say its worth its weight in gold.but stay away from haynes and chilton manuals as they are vague to the point of hilarity.also dont get the aluminum core replacement as somehow they seem to deliver much less heat than the brass one did
I have a leaky core in my 86 IROC. How did you do this with out removing the dash??

Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM

I can’t verify this but my research points to 91 and 92 the AC ducts are made differently, on my 92 there was NO WAY of getting at the heater core cover till I removed the dash and all the ducting. It seems pre 1990 it’s a couple hours of hell vs. many hours on my 92. I found taking out the seats made everything much easier and being a T-top helped also.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

old timer, do you think I need to take my dash apart? I am a little apprehensive about this.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 AM

I keep sticking my two cents in because I have direct knowledge of the 92. I have read very little on this year heater core replacement. I have read most if not all treads on this subject and from my readings from the guys in this forum who have 86 gen 3 you should be able to replace it without removing the dash. The pad is no big deal if you have to remove it. This is really not a difficult job because there are screws holding everything together, LOTS OF SCREWS it is a pain in the *** though. Since I have very little under dash experience I just took my time and was very careful not to brake any plastic pieces. If you do not have patience you might want to farm it out. I think patience is the most needed skill fo this job. While I had mine apart I also upgrade my speakers and installed XM radio. Like I said I removed everything console included and I hope you don't have to go as far as I did. Hope this helps. Remember there is nothing to fear but fear itself!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
4th Gear Member

and my experience/writeup is with a 89.

Quick Reply: Heater Core Leak