Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Default Good deal?

Ok, heres the deal. I have a chance at an 83 camaro with no motor, trans, hood, or head liner. Also, i will have to have new keys made for the car as the current owner has lost them. (does anybody know if i can get a dealer to cut these if i have the vin and clear title? Also, the car has a little rust on the bottom of the doors. It seems sound on the outside, but its painted primer black, and ive heard that a car that is just primered rusts fast. Im getting under it wednesday to see if anything is to rusted. Can anybody tell me some common problem areas to look at besides the quaterpanels and what not. This is a MS car, so im not worried about salt causing rust on the frame.

The guy only wants $150 bucks for it. The interior is ripped and the panels are in ok shape. The dash is cracked pretty bad.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Good deal?

It is most likely primer over paint. When its primed over bare metal it will rust. Primer is pourus. It sounds like almost a shell that needs a lot. If you spend a little more you can get a lot more. If its something you want to build and plan on spending money go for it.
As your checking rust you can tap on the aras with a key and it will have a different sound if its realy eaten away.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

a place to check under the car is on the sub-frame mounts...they are a really common place to be rusted and if they are rusted it might be worth it still at only $150 but it is a pain in the butt to replace, and to find good ones. if the bottoms of the doors are rusted make sure that the trunk is solid and that the floor boards arent bad, along with right over the rear wheel wells. and yes you can have a dealer make a set of keys if you have the title and the vin number, there might be some other documents required but im not sure, all i know is that a friend lost his keys and the dealer made him a new set. let me know how everything goes otherwise

Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 AM

yeah, all i really need is the shell. I plan on building it up. New motor, tranny, rear end, brakes...etc....