General questions and advice on my 86 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Default General questions and advice on my 86 camaro

Alright, I have an 86 camaro I bought 9 years ago and shortly after I blew a rod because I neglected the knocking. Then I joined the service and it’s been sitting since. First I have some questions about the car itself. It has the v6 with the mfi which made me believe it was a berlinetta but the VIN says sports coupe/z28. There is minimal badging because the previous owners did a sharty paint job and never clear coated it or replaced any emblems. Just curious exactly what trim it is or how I can narrow it down.

Next, I plan on starting this build later this summer after a deployment and I’ve convinced myself to throw in a 350. I assume that’s a pretty painless install. Any recommendations on anything different? I want to be able to make it mean but on a budget. I’m considering a 350 because I assume there are still a handful of them around and I could get one fairly cheap. I need a lot of interior that I planned on getting through classic industries.

I guess I’m just looking for tips and advice on anything special I need to look for first to get started on this build. I’m really looking forward to getting this camaro running again. I appreciate any help or comments. Thanks for reading.

Heres a couple old pics i found from when i bought it. Body is still really straight.

Attached Thumbnails General questions and advice on my 86 camaro-camaro001.jpg   General questions and advice on my 86 camaro-camaro004.jpg   General questions and advice on my 86 camaro-4952200004_large.jpg   General questions and advice on my 86 camaro-cammy1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Be careful. "Straight" bodies are pretty rare in 3rd gens, especially those stored like that. I thought mine was too until it was cleaned, stripped and put on the rack.

With that said, give it a very good look over to find rust, or anything covered up by the previous owner.

If you ran the vin and found it to be a v6 sport coupe, then you're set for finding the correct badging. The V6 to V8 swap is a sticky on this forum that should have all the info you'll ever need.

Be careful with stuff you get from classic industries or year one. They have some great stuff that is original replacement, but some parts such as sheet metal, decals, and upholstry can be lower quality and may not be what you wanted.

350 on a budget is possible but first check your emission laws to see what you can do first, I'm still in that bind and I may have to get creative to follow the laws. I know there are guys on here who budget busted a 350 and make good HP, but you are going to have to pay if you really want a mean one, ask around I'm sure some guys will chime in.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

Oh, where do I start.........Yes, the car is a Berlinetta, or at least has a Berlinetta nose. If the VIN tells you Z28 but the nose has been changed, Im already worried. So let me try and be polite here......you have a 86 Camaro with a blown engine, ratty interior, crappy paint job and had been sitting in a muddy field for 10 years? Dont waste your time on this one bubba, let it go.....

Heres why I say this....for starters, the v6 to v8 swap is not as basic and simple as it sounds. If you are going to spend the money to make the swap, then you are going to want a decent engine, not just some junkyard pull out donor motor. This alone is going to cost you 3 times as much as you are expecting. Now for the paint job and interior.....once you put the engine in, you want it to look nice and THAT process will also turn into a black hole.

Im not saying dont build a Camaro when you get back, just dont use this one. It may be time to send that one to the giant parts pile in the sky....

PS- Where is that car, may I ask? I swear I know one thats similar looking in similar surroundings.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

I would agree, but didn't want to go down that road.

I think it depends on what you want. I've been restoring my 87IROC for over a year now. But, it was my first car when I was 16, so to me its worth every penny and ounce of frustration. But I've tried very hard to do eveything correct the first time.

Scott is right, a mid HP small block is cheap (but that swap might not be as simple as you think), but once you start to get to higher HP numbers it will get expensive. Body and paint? That is by far the most expensive, I thought I only had "just a little surface rust" 2 complete qp's later, inner rocker panel, inner wheel well, and all new fasteners and I'm still not done. Then the interior....

Like I said it will depend on what you want out of the car, but you won't make a good looking barn burner for $1,000, more like 10K