Gap in throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Default Gap in throttle?

I thought this might have been the clutch causing a loss of power in a certain spot when throttling. I got a new clutch installed cause it was worn out. The only problem now is that when im putting on the gas it goes untill it reaches a certain spot in the throttle and then it like cuts off the power. the engine like bogs. wth. Does anyone know what is causing this. At first i thought it might have been the thermic valve on the intake. so i took off the vacum line and plugged it. still has that gap. Im also thinking it may need injectors to be replaced. idk whats going on. it only happening at a certain rpm. i don't know cause my gage is broke.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Gap in throttle?

Sounds like a partially clogged exhaust. Probably the converter. I'm gonna tell you what I tell anyone who's got hard to spot engine problems, though. Get a vacuum gauge. Engine vacuum can tell you alot more than most people think it can. You should be at about 18-22 "hg at idle, and it should drop and go right back up when you snap the throttle open. If I'm right about the clogged exhaust, you'll start seeing pressure build up in the manifold, instead of vacuum at high RPMs. Best thing to do from there is take a look at the exhaust, make sure it isn't damaged on the outside. If it isn't, it's almost certainly the converter. You can punch out the honey comb and clean that all out, or you can replace it, depending on wether you wanna be legal about it or not.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:11 AM

thanks for the reply. I looked under there. the previous owners took off the cat and put a cherry bomb in place of it. which is strange to me is a tube that runs right in front of the cherry bomb. its not connect to anything. is this the o2 sensor. the exaust is kind dinged up also cutting off some but don't think it would do much. idk any help apprecaitaed.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Like I said, get a vacuum gauge and check it out. There are a few other possibities, but the most common with the symptoms (in my experience, at least,) is clogged exhaust, but I'd rather tell you to get a vacuum gauge and make sure, than tell you that you need the exhaust, and find out I made someone spend hundreds of dollars to fix the car when it's not the problem. Besides, the vacuum gauge is something every mechanic should have.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Droid

What year is your car? I doubt that the new cluch can do anything to make the engine bog, most likely you had the problem all along and never noticed because he clutch was slipping. Do what FlufyTiger said and check for back pressure build up. Vacuum gages do not cost much and are good to have around. Get one that reads pressure in addition to just vacuum.

If you want to really get picky, you can also check directly for pressure build up in the exhaust system, by either temporarily disconnecting one of the AIR pipe hoses, removing the check valve and using an adaptor to connect the vacuum/pressure gage, or by temporarily removing the O2 sensor and use an adapter to connect the vacuum/pressure gage in its place. Run the engine with no load and if it goes over 1.5 PSI at idle or 3 PSI at 2000 RPM you got some serious restrictions.

If it all looks good, you may want to look at the Thorottle Position Sensor, if you car uses one.