Fuel Rail pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Fuel Rail pressure questions

I have an 87 Iroc Z-28 5.7 TPI, she is very ill, one day 5 orso years ago she wouldnt start, I got pissed off and bought another car. Since, dad and I have tapped the fuel line, pressurized it and the rails with another pump. We cant get much pressure to the fuel rails. All I could come up with is that I had a ****ty fuel pump and I was going to pull it out, but it's a fair bit of work. Dad's done some poking, proding and testing.I've done other stuff, but its been awhile. We aren't out of ideas yet but getting pissed off. Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?. My baby is just sitting and rotting and it kills me.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Fuel Rail pressure questions

You'll be terribly lucky if the fuel pump is your only problem. Likelyhood is high that you'll end up having to replace the entire fuel system, if she's been sitting for 5 years without cycling the gas out from time to time. Check to see if your gas is still liquid, post your findings, and that'll give everyone on here a much better place to start on recomendations.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Overdrive Member

You tapped the rail with another pump but did not remove the old pump. That would be blockage. So would the 5 year old fuel. May be nice and thick now. You do need about 45 psi to work the injection on a TPI. Bite the bulit and take the tank out and the fuel pump, clean the lines, fuel rail and injectors. Change the fuel filter.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

I am pretty sure we tapped the line after the filter but the 2nd pump ran from a bucket of gas, so there would not have been any blockage from the original pump. Also, by doing this, I am aware that pressure is an issue, butit just all of the sudden quit (wouldnt start)one day. So, that was just a thought if the pump was chewed or the filter was pooched, just wanted to be sure that it was a fuel problem. After the mickey mouse hack job, it did run for a bit but not well,I'm guessing pressure.I had EVERY intention to replace all of the lines before the hacking. As for the fuel,I've dumped in alot of new gas each time we worked on it, so I am not sure if it was old gas. I guess its only been sitting un-started 2 years(*ashamed*).Now the PSI I was unsure of, I was guessing between 27-37. It was a new filter in there, we cleaned the lines(I will never tell how) and the injectors. That was pretty much the first thing I did after the cursing and beating. I am regretting pulling the tank, this is going to suck, oh well the snow is comfy. I really hope I do not have to re-do the fuel system, that will suck worse than anything.Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. When I know more, I will post again. Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

I haven't done anything to the car but I was just reminded that the secondary pump we were using was for a v 12 Jag and I know the PSI on them is way higher. Any ideas of why the fuel won't push through? Mabey I need to gut the cat...lol,seriously. It will roll over catch and stall.Mabey it isn't even the fuel rails..? I don't know. What are the chances of the motor being seized?.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

start with draining all the old gas out. from there, replace the filter and pump. leave the tank down, but test it. add a ****load of fuel system cleaner, injector cleaner, etc in there. check the pressure again. if still low, try putting a pump further up the line and testing it there. if still nothing, that means there is either blockage, or your fuel pressure regulator is stuck closed. mine recently went bad, and was delivering all the fuel at once, no matter the engine speed. fixed that, made it start easier, and runs a little stronger and a lot more effecient (i have 170 miles to half a tank, that used to be a full tank!)

Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

We tapped the line after the pump and tested then tapped after the filter and still no pressure, the gas we were using was in a pail so it was clean but the gas wasn't pushing from the injectors, it just fell out instaed of spraying constant?.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

But we will try a few more things like what you suggested and go from there. I'm just looking for a few more options so I can try several things, the camaro can onlt come into the shop for a day or so I have to build a to do list and get retarded.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

Anyone else have any ideas...doesn't matter how strange...we need a few things to hit the drawing board with.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 PM
May 2007 ROTM

Go to a junk yard and get the whole setup and start from scratch. If you can other then that something is blocked somewhere. microkid nailed it on the nose.

Quick Reply: Fuel Rail pressure questions