Fuel Pump Location???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You guys with 4th gens giving advice are misleading the guy. On 4th gens, it's easier to do the trap door because the lines have disconnects. I had a 91 and tried the trap door method, unfortunately all 4 lines are solid and have no disconnects, and the sending unit is not coming out with them connected. There are only two right ways to do the third gen, drop the tank, or cut the lines and flare them so that you can connect them back up the safe way.
So he would need to drop the tank while the fuel lines are solid leading to the fuel pump? I never knew that about the 3rd gen- I have learned something today. I thought trap door was only available for 3rd and 4th gens, now I have a future reference point.

Well O/P, guess you gotta do it old school :/

Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by iLL95
So he would need to drop the tank while the fuel lines are solid leading to the fuel pump? I never knew that about the 3rd gen- I have learned something today. I thought trap door was only available for 3rd and 4th gens, now I have a future reference point.
Well O/P, guess you gotta do it old school :/
Pictures of mine below, solid lines all the way down to the lower drivers side of the tank. I got it to this point to where I then decided I would be better off just dropping the tank. Cutting and splicing the lines correctly while in place like that was going to be more of a P.I.T.A. than it's worth.

Name:  _91Camaro_Tank_Access_Cropped.jpg
Views: 3463
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  _Camaro_Jacked_Back_Cropped.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

man,do not hack a hole in your car!!!! and even if you do you still wont be able to get the fuel pump out that way.and yes you do have to drop the rear axle to get the tank out but it can be done the right way.just DO it the right way.ok?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by rusty vango
man,do not hack a hole in your car!!!! and even if you do you still wont be able to get the fuel pump out that way.and yes you do have to drop the rear axle to get the tank out but it can be done the right way.just DO it the right way.ok?
As I say-
That has been established, good sir.

In his case, don't cut a hole, with a 4th gen, its the only way to go without cussing.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You guys with 4th gens giving advice are misleading the guy, and anybody else for that matter. On 4th gens, it's easier to do the trap door because the lines have disconnects. I had a 91 and tried the trap door method, unfortunately all 4 lines are solid and have no disconnects, and the sending unit is not coming out with them connected. There are only two right ways to do the third gen, drop the tank, or do the trap door, but then you have to cut the lines and flare them so that you can connect the high pressure lines back up the safe way.

mmmmmmm

6 year thread bump

anyway

with TPI cars I'd agree with you about flaring is mandatory

Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I Like to Party

HA I LOLED SO HARD. I never even thought to look at the date Nice catch there. Wow, the noob that posted first effected me I guess

Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iLL95
HA I LOLED SO HARD. I never even thought to look at the date Nice catch there. Wow, the noob that posted first effected me I guess

not a waste because the 3rd gen fuel tank and pump were discussed to the benefit of those who were not familiar with it.

Now, a debate could rage between me and 69 about how one could handle the task for TPI vehicles vs TBI

Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
not a waste because the 3rd gen fuel tank and pump were discussed to the benefit of those who were not familiar with it.

Now, a debate could rage between me and 69 about how one could handle the task for TPI vehicles vs TBI

Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Sure, we could, but there's nothing to cause a raging debate about. I know what you're saying, the TBI fuel pump only puts out anywhere between 9~13 psi, and a flared connection isn't absolutely necessary. But, I didn't want a non-flared, non-fitted connection on a car with a hot exhaust system below it, where the union is tucked way above the gas tank, hidden out of view where I can't monitor it. Call me paranoid, I called it being careful. And to give a blanket statement that all 3rd gen gas lines can get cut and slip fit with a rubber hose and clamp would be wrong and irresponsible, because of the higher pressure TPI models. So I didn't!
iLL, you can put away your popcorn and koolaid, smartazz.
And Rusty, there's nothing "hacked" about the way I cut mine open. Sure, I've seen some online (not here yet) where it looks like the guy cut the opening with a dull can opener.
Also you do want to have a good sealed cover, not just use the carpeting, because exhaust fumes will otherwise enter the car. This was mine once I was done, sealed with silicone adhesive and screwed down:

Name:  _91Camaro_Tank_AccessPanel_Cropped.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  17.5 KB

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-13-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 AM
I Like to Party

Waitwut,I meant cover up the weld with carpet.

Koolaid didn't taste that good anyways..

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Location???