Fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Default Fuel???

So my check engine light in my 1991 camaro rs just flashed for the first time the other day actually was the day after filling up my gas tank, soon to be shortly after that it stayed on for a period of time where the car seemed to be idling really low with a slight front end shake, then it will stop and the check engine light disappears and the car began to run as if nothing was wrong at all, a day later I change my fuel filter and it seemed to help but then I took it for a spin and it started to act up again with the check engine light flashing on an off and car idling very low then eventually it got bad enough that it actually stalled out for a period of time and couldn't get it to start back up without having to put my foot in the gas pedal but I was able to drive it home in that condition but my speedometer wouldn't work, occasionally the check engine light would disappear and everything will run fine but wasn't for long... I got it parked out front the second I pulled in the spot outside it instantly stalled, the next day I woke up and the fricken thing started right up no check engine light or anything.... I feel like it's a very little issue I don't wanna take it to a mechanic if there's anyone who can help me please

Old 04-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Default Here it is

Old 04-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I assume this is a 305 TBI car? Always start with the engine type.

Step one is to pull the codes out of the ECM. Your system is pretty easy, you just need a paper clip to make a jumper. Search “checking codes with a paper clip” on Youtube.

Without those code(s) it a guessing game. I would guess that the code is a miss. One or more cylinders not firing. The reason it is blinking is to tell you that the Cat could be damaged by raw fuel hitting it.

This miss could be caused by dozens of different things but based on odds I would say it is an issue with the Secondary ignition system. Plugs, Wires, Cap or Rotor. If any of these is much more then 5 years old they should be replaced as part of your maintenance. If this fixes the car you should replace the coil. It has been strained to its limits and will most likely fail in the next 18 months or sooner. Course this is all just a guess based on odds, you could have a sticking valve for all I know.