Finally got the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Finally got the car

I traded a car trailer for a 91 RS over the weekend and thought Id share my story so far. This has been in the works for about 3 weeks.
Friday night I got a call telling me that the new starter was put in but when he got it running it was running real bad. I was asked if I still wanted to trade, I said hell yea. So, Saturday morning the trade was made. I had to baby the car home. When you try and speed up the car would pop, hesitate, buck, slow down and all sorts of other nasty things. I got the car to moms house, took off the distributor cap expecting to find some corrosion on the cap terminals, I did. I looked at the pick up coil and noticed it covered in rust. HMMM, no wonder this thing wouldnt run worth a damn. I ended up going to Autozone for a reman. dist for 99.00. Had the swap done in about 45 minutes. The car purred like a kitten. I was also told that when you stab the brakes it will pull to the right. Another trip to Autozone for rotors, brakes, bearings and seals. I started on the drivers side with the brake job I found 3 of the 5 lugnuts messed up to where I couldnt get them off. I ended up taking the wheel and rotor off together. I had to reach behind the wheel, remove the caliper bolts, go through the wheel and pull the pads and eventually got the wheel and rotor off. Called a friend and torched the studs off from behind, punded out the studs with lugnuts and then pitched the rotor in the garbage. I had to get back home to have dinner with the in laws so I only got the brakes done on one side for now. Ill be in Oklahoma for 2 weeks for work so the car is going to have to sit until I get back. The overall appearance of the car isnt bad. Some scratches and chipped paint but overall, pretty sound. Two small rust spots that will need quick attention. Thanks for reading my short novel. Ill try and keep you updated when possible.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:43 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Finally got the car

Hey congrats on getting the car, do keep us posted on your progress, also stop by the MAY RTM and vote on your fav car, I just you like big block 2 tone 2nd gens.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I voted, would have made an easier decision if you would paint yer damn hood.
Your car got my vote.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

alright, igot a suggestion for ya, get this engine gunk stuff, like 2 or 3 cans of it, its mad cheap you can get it at any parts store. its a degreaser, what you do is you just spray down teh entire engine and everythign under teh hood, with both cans i mean just soak it down... let it settle for about 10-15 minutes then hose it all off... that will lift up all teh dirt and clean it up... for the air cleaner take it off and before you degrease it and put a rag over the TBI or carb whatever you have, so it doesnt get into taht... then sand down the air cleaner and just spray paint it whatever color you want. that will make it look a little more flashy under the hood. then as for your interior... get seat covers... igot two universal leather seat covers from pep boys 22 bucks each and they look great... get some armor all or pearl gloss for the plastic interior... all you do is spray it on a rag and ten just wipe down teh plastic. then just simply vacuum the interior... that will clean it up and make it look great. the paint looks great, congrats on your iroc man, that car has potential

Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
March 2008 ROTM

just some info on the armor all... GO EASY on it. Yea it looks great and all. But its got this nasty habit of drying out your vynal if used to much. It will crack it like none other. I use it once or twice a year in very very light coats. Just enough to keep everything black.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

gozzy, thanks for the input!!!. Im not a fan of Armor all so it wont be used. I do appreciate the suggestions.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I like your car...probably cuz mineis the same year and RS, kinda different having the IROC-Z doors, but I like it...i'mupdatingpics of my car which is in the rebuilding stage...is yours V6? I love getting on this forum...i'm allgiddy like a schoolgirllol

Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh by the way, before I bought my car, me and my dad thought it was an 87...but turned out being a 91...man i'm an idiot

Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i was gonna say, i dont think the iroc-z came with anything other than the 350 tpi. and if its a 91, thats for sure it really isnt an iroc

Old 04-09-2007, 02:14 AM
May 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: TW62T

I voted, would have made an easier decision if you would paint yer damn hood.
Your car got my vote.
haha, cool I missed this , was stuck in the trash talk section.......looks like you fit in well here at the forums. Thanks for the vote,now tell your friends to vot for me to.

Quick Reply: Finally got the car