Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3000gtsrock
So I'd be able to get 700r beefed up during rebuild to support est. 500hp at flywheel? I'm hoping to have her up n runnin by spring next yr.I def wanna do it right the time bc i'm not filthy rich lol.Any idea on rear end cost?
hmmm, so you want a approx 500HP at the crank, with a SBC, and need a platform to handle it safely in a vehicle which served part of its' life as a submarine. And you have how much money?????????

might I suggest Race, performance & street cars, engines, engine parts, trailers for sale

If you do decide that doing this is what you will be doing, then perhaps consider if you really NEED 400 RWHP for the street or only NEED 400RWHP for the occasional trip to the track. If so, then a 75-100 shot of nitrous may be just the trick and be sure to have a 4 bolt block and build for that. You'll be more daily street friendly and satisfy your need for the track

Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

lol at submarine... idc how much $ I put in this car... if you look at 3rd gen projects you'll see the history behind this car. The only reason for this build is bc of the sentimental value it holds. Yes I want 400 hp for street, as the car will be at track one time after completion. This will be drivin' on sundays for fun and to kill rustangs. Oh how I hate rustangs....

Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

One thing you didn't mention is if your area requires emission testing.....does it? Make sure you are 100% sure either way as it will absolutely impact what you will end up doing.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea it does require emissions... but with it being an older car it shouldn't be as strict as newer cars as far as computers n what not.. obviously Ill need full exhaust with converters. I'm assuming it'll cost $7000 - $10000 estimated for build.. I'm sure I'm way off though lol. Going to replace everything with new/slightly used parts. from brakes/suspension to drivetrain n interior.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
4th Gear Member

it's tough to lose a parent at any age

with respect to the project, you are quite a distance away from considering the power train. You have a lot of work and money to get the interior and exterior back into shape. Sitting in water flooded and then left alone for years basically made the only thing of value the glass and the sheet metal/chassis. You'll need to replace all lines and all bushings as well

Depending on the type of pain you want when done, and if you can actually do it yourself then you're probably a bit off with your $7k-$10k estimate. It's going to be well north of that unless of course you just toss any old used junk at the thing. Heck, the weather stripping all around is going to set you back almost a grand when you do all of it.

You may want to consider a "tribute" vs this project. As a dad, I can assure you that he'd understand

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

bushings never crossed my mind...at least all the seals appear to be in great shape and t tops dont leak. as far as exterior, all it really needs is front bumper painted bc of spiderweb style crack. Overall this will be a learning experience for me. going from imports to domestics, the one thing i do like is i actully have room to work under the hood lol But hopefully with everyones help I can make my dream become reality

Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3000gtsrock
bushings never crossed my mind...at least all the seals appear to be in great shape and t tops dont leak. as far as exterior, all it really needs is front bumper painted bc of spiderweb style crack. Overall this will be a learning experience for me. going from imports to domestics, the one thing i do like is i actully have room to work under the hood lol But hopefully with everyones help I can make my dream become reality
I see that I left out the T and wrote pain and not paint. Perhaps it was a Freudian slip.

Are you trying to rebuild/restore it or just toss stuff at it to get it running? There is a huge difference. It was submerged. You do not even question whether or not you need new fuel and brake lines or parking brake cable; you do.

All the rubber bushings must be replaced. All wheel bearings replaced. Axle serviced. I'm surprised to hear the weatherstripping is in good shape. There is not one part of the vehicle which was submerged which should not be removed, repaired/reconditioned/replaced. Again, it boils down to if it's a toss together project or being done correctly for the long haul. The rug needs to come out, the insulation removed, the seats tossed and all replaced. It was submerged. Your wiring probably has more gremlins than AMC ever did.

Unless you can paint it yourself you are looking at a minimum of $1,000 for an OK job with no body work and 3x that if you want base/clear and a good job.

If you don't do it correctly then you'll constantly have little things which keep popping up needing replacement and time intense diagnosing

If I were up above and could whisper to my son, I'd tell him to buy a 3rd gen and do a tribute and junk that which was submerged

Last edited by torque_is_good; 10-30-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

interior gone alrdy, has few rust spot in drivers floor pan, lookin at buyn a beat up 4th gen for seats. This is something I intend on taking my time with and idc if it takes a few months or even years. Also trash 305 harness since im goin old school 350 . It really is a bare interior and driveline/motor as it sits with exception of dash.. water didnt get that high from wat i could tell... Wish i had some before pics... it was horrible lol. if i cn ill take sum pics n post them on project thread tomarrow

Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Best of luck on your project! I will tell you that it is going to take a lot longer than you thought. I had a budget and paid cash for every thing I did which was pretty much every single bolt from new. Everything took a long time because I had to order so many ticky tac things. At one point just to do the hatch I had two different relays, a switch, and a motor on order...all at different times. If you go hard I can't seeing take less than years. It took me nearly two and a half years of constant work with no more than a week off. I had all body and paint done by a resto guy that took around a year and half...the rest was all me and it is was tough. I probobly won't do another one as i barely (720 miles from 11/1/11 until today) use it and don't want to invest the time or money into something else I won't use.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

So if you had to estimate , how much do you think the total build costed you? Mite hold off on paint to get interior and get it running. I'll probally paint grey interior pieces black to save money. I read if you take your time and use the correct paint it'll last awhile without any flakes and peeling. Providing this girl comes and buys my 91' stealth project car next week, I'll be able to a beater 4th gen n steal the seats and buy the engine off my friend on sunday =) Hopefully it all works out.. the car seems to be cursed I swear.

Quick Reply: Few Questions