Fact or Fiction?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Question Fact or Fiction?!?!?!?

So I have been told by a few local "car guys" that on a Camaro without t-tops you can buy a kit that has just a solid single piece of glass on the roof the same width as t-tops sort of like the vet used to have? I have yet to find this "kit" after extensive internet searching so I ask if anyone either has something like this or has seen something like this.

My next question is a rim question. I found these rims on ebay very clean, but I am not sure what size you can put on a 91 RS with no modifications? So can I put 18s on a 91 RS without modifications. thanks for the help

Old 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Never heard of anything like that. Maybe a installation kit/package for a sun or moon roof put in the standard position, the rectangular glass with rounded corners. Sounds like they are talking about a "glass top" which like you wrote, some of the vettes come with. But man, even if you found what they are yalking about, thats a whole lot of cutting into your roof, and you could run into one problem after another. Pretty tedious, if not installed 110% correct, expect wind noise, leaks, rattling, etc.....I would skip that one if it were i....Your stock wheels should be 16".....I would check with Les Schwab, Discount Tire, etc. before buying any 18" wheels. Plus depends on what tires you would want on them. They would have to be low profile (like 50 series) or you would have a clearance issue for sure. Tires will be spendy, and those types of tires since they obviously hold less air, are softer compound to help the car ride better. If they weren't softer compound, it would be a rough, bumpy ride. Since softer compound, they will wear much faster. Most dealers will recommend "Z" rated tires due to the soft compound and low profile. They will also recommend having them "offset", which is a cool look. Also may need/want new springs, shocks, polyurethane bushings, etc....I have an Eibach Sport/Performance lowering package on mine, which is cheaper to do the kit instead of buying all separate of course. Ask their opinion what would be better for your application, 17's or 18's.....one inch makes a big difference. And about the offset, like (for example) 17 x 7 in the front, and 17 x 8 for the rear...they will know what will work best, just make sure they offset them, it looks badass. Do you have disc brakes front and back? Or just front? I will be back on tonight after work around 8:00 pacific time....Cya, Steve

Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Just got the car yesterday but according to the the previous owner it has disk all around. Here is the link for the rims I was looking at (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT). They are 18x8 but you can also get them in 16x8 for the same price that was the only reason I considered the 18s. I also found tires fairly cheap for both sets. Like you were saying though I do not want to deal with clearance problems and I know the bigger the rim the smaller the tire which can be bad for the rims (dents,chips from potholes etc.) I am Sure the 16s will look good I just saw a whit late 80s Firebird On 18 inches of almost the same rims and it looked phenomenal. I am in Sycamore IL and if the owner of that car is on this forum I give mad props on the work done to that car.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This is crazy. I saw this post the other day and I was at the parts store to get a new heater control valve and an employee was outside having a smoke and said "I used to have a 91 with the targa top". I remembered your post and inquired about the car. He said he only knew that it was a dealer installed item by only one dealer in St. Louis and only 250 were done. He didn't know the name of the dealer...go figure. So apparently they do exist. I had never heard of one before. How many chevy dealers are in St. Louis??? With a little research you may be able to find out which one did these conversions.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
March 2008 ROTM

Chevy dealers in St. Louis? About a million. Targa tops i have seen. ZERO! i have seen or read something about somebody making it a targa top though. No kits however.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah...it was just weird that this guy said that. I didn't say anything to him about it. He also said that they came with a one off ground effects package and a checkered racing graphic. I would like to see one. I'll ask this guy if he has any pics of it next time I'm over there.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 AM

the only way ive hard of puting t-tops in a hard top is to have someone that knows what thay are doing to cut the top out and put a t-bar in.
as for the wheels youll have to wach the clarnce in the wheel wells