Engine vs. Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Default Engine vs. Body

Hey all -

Noob here, so take it easy on me if I'm not exactly to tech level that everyone else is...

I'm going to start work on my '84 project this weekend, and my question is if given a choice between building the motor (going to skip going to a 350, as I find it more interesting to build the existing 305) and getting the body in show condition (paint, wheels, etc), which would you choose?

If I build the motor first, then it's going to be at least another summer before I'm ready to show the car. If I get the exterior the way I want it, I can show the car, but with a wimpy 'ol stock block.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

More than likely, the body and interior will cost more than the motor. To have the car stripped down to metal, straightened, dings and dents removed, primed and painted will be at least 4K. This assumes no rot or rust that require replacing panels. A good interior with weather stripping, carpet, seat rebuild, new plasitc pieces, etc will be 1500 +. If you are rebuilding the 305 to keep it stock, then that will be cheap. But if you try the performance route, you are in for a waste of time unless you want to spend some decent cash. If you are fine with spending a lot of cash on the 305, then thats fine, but imagine what you would be able to get with that same cash on a 350....that is why most go the 350 route. Either or, my best advise is to work inside to out. I would hate to have a great paint job or interior and mess it up doing any motor work or trans work. Its just too easy to drop a wrench or have some thing hit a fender or door while working on the motor.

Lastly, if you are going to show the car would you want the hood upen on a grungy 27 year old motor?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Your last thought was the one that kept me debating - to have a great looking car at a show, only to open the hood to view a sad-looking 305.

So with your argument, I think I'm going to start with the motor first unless someone else can make a strong counter-argument. I'll be content to simply drive the car around this summer, and save the exterior and interior work for next summer. That being said, my fiance's father has his own painting room and the exterior of the car is in really good shape, save for a dent that needs to be pulled out of the passenger quarter panel. The only other exterior mods going on the car are a different hood and some deep dish Boze wheels.

Thanks for the input.

- Craig

Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok, if you are going to start with the motor, check your emission laws first then go from there. I would strongly advise against a performance 305. Yes, it can be done, but on a tired old bottom end it may not last. You will no doubt spend more trying to make that work, rather than putting in a better platform.

Write out everything you want to do first and order parts as you need them, or you may end up with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff you don't need. Make a plan first, its the only way it will get done correct. It has taken me over 2.5 years to get mine done and I'm not all the way there yet.

If you do the motor, check your trans, rear end, suspension, and brakes while everything will most likely be dirty. As far as you having access to someone with paint facilities, thats great, but do not underestimate body work. If you paint over a rippled finish, and I can almost gaurantee any 27 year old car will have some, you will end up with a poor end result. Your foundation must be as good as possible. This means door jambs, weather stripping removed, removing deck lid, windshield, etc....I don't know what end result you are looking for, but if you really want to show it, thats the necessary route. I would go to some car shows and look at some examples, you don't want to be the guy in the back corner with a slapped together piece. Take the time now while you still have the opportunity. Keep in mind if you want to keep this car, then great, but if you think you may end up selling you will not get even close to what you put into it. I can just about gaurantee I would get $.50 on the dollar for what I put into mine. There is virtually nothing that hasn't been gone over. If you go into the 1st gen section, I have seen many of the guys suggest to the new guys to look for a finsihed project. There are so many out there in this economy.....just an idea, unless that car has some sentimental value. Mine did as it was my first car. best of luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Always getting it running the way you want, before getting it to look the way you want. What good is a pretty car that doesn't drive.

Ill take a fast ugly car over a slow pretty one any day.
They wont notice the dents if you pull the wheels off the ground as you blow past them.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i went the performance route as my car was decent looking when i bought it. since then, i blew the motor up and it sat for a few years. during the time the paint started oxidizing and fading, and the dash pad really cracked bad. i decided to go the route to get the motor done and running, and will continue working on the motor, drivetrain, and suspension before i do paint and interior. you are bound to hit or scratch a fender when working on a car, so i would always save body work til last

Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Build the motor right, and nobody will be able to get close enough to see any flaws in the body!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM

I appreciate all the input, gang.

Looks like I'll be getting into the shop this Sunday to see what I have to work with, and then building up the engine piece by piece (wish I could afford to buy it all at once, but ain't gonna happen).

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm starting with my engine. I've always liked the look of the car regardless of the paint. For me that's last. Function before beauty!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Default More Power

As an added bonus, I was informed there is a 350 block available for me to build out, which is great news. I'll pull the 305, hold onto it, and give it to the next owner in case they want the all-original car back (that is, if I ever do end up selling it).