engine/ trans swap..what about......

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Default engine/ trans swap..what about......

hello all, please forgive me if i ask a real dumb question.........ive had a few older cars, cadillacs chevelles etc, and although im not a pro mechanic, ive spent many a day under my own car but this is my first camaro....bought an 86, very nice clean ex drag car that had a small block with a 700 r4 now blown up. ive got a real nice 454 with a 400 turbo on it that id really love to massage into this car, but wondering if i can get away with it. the long torque arm, for lack of a better name for it that runs from the back of the trans to the rear end. parrallel to the driveshaft, if the 400 turbo has no provision for the arm, is there a way to adapt this brace/member to the 400 turbo? thanks! john in ohio

Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: engine/ trans swap..what about......

People in this forum have swapped thier trannys but no mention of how they mounted the torque arm (it is the proper name). Where there is a will there is a way. Maybe you need to find a guy named Will to do it. [8D]
Do take pics and show us your 454 though.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 AM
2nd Gear member

I seen a torque arm relocation bracket for the 4 gens. The bracket basically moves the mounting off of the trans extension tail housing and puts the stress on to the subframe rails. You might try a search fora relocation bracket for the 3rd gen camaros.
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...amp;ProdID=871

Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats a good question i did not know there was no location for the torque arm on a turbo 400 tranny which coincidentally i am putting in my 3rd gen. My difference is I am using a v6 3rd gen. Doyou or anyone know if there is a torque arm on the v6 tranny. Its a 91 rs. Thanks

Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Overdrive Member

Yes there is a torque arm on a V6. It is what keeps the rear from rotating. Are you going to install that 400 onto the 3.1 V6???

Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 PM

thanks, all, for the replies it pays to ask! looks like the relocation bracket is the way to go!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

yep jegs and summit both sell a kit for the torque arm for 3rd gens, ive looked into it before its pricey, http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44013_-1_11335 i seem to rember another way but cant find the kit for it. the torque arm on 3rd gens is actually pretty imporant, get rid of it and get rid of 90% of your traction.

as far as slapping a big block in there, your biggest issues are going to be #1 exhaust, not a real issue but it will have to be custom done. #2 strengthing the body before u even dream of droping that engine in, you need to give that body some real support, theres countless products out that to strengthen 3rd gen bodys.....invest in all of them, atleast the subframe connecters and a good tower brace.

Also one additional note on dropping that 454, its going to be a crazy ride but you will hate it to death every time you have to change your spark plugs

Old 05-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Get rid of the torque arm and you get rid of 110% of your traction. Its the only thing keeping the rear in line with the trans.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:53 AM
March 2008 ROTM

110%. so your actually spinng the rear around while at a stand still with the motor off?! thats either some serious power, or some seriously bald tires... or you know, the torque arm is missing,,, but its more fun to say its just that much power.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

110%. so your actually spinng the rear around while at a stand still with the motor off?! thats either some serious power, or some seriously bald tires... or you know, the torque arm is missing,,, but its more fun to say its just that much power.
Ok why would you need traction at a stand still and the motor off? Without the torque arm your rear has the ability to pivot on the control arms so as your drive shaft turns and there is nothing to stop the rear from doing this it can turn and pull the drive shaft out of the trans and then you will be at a stand still and pissed.
Just sleep it off buddy, sleep it off

Quick Reply: engine/ trans swap..what about......