Engine Problems (noob alert)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 02:52 PM
|
Default Engine Problems (noob alert)

Well, I finally grew up and came to American cars from the world of Toyota. I own 2 Supras, and a 305 Camaro my grandfather gave/is giving me.

Skipping the background story of me and such....and going to the 'Maro.

Its a '91, used to run VERY well until my grandfather gave it to my mother, and she trashed the poor girl. its beat up now, and I want to help the beauty live on. Problem is, it wont start. I tried checking for engine codes, and the CEL blinks at a steady pace even when there is no jumper...and the fan is on even before the engine is started. (not sure if thats normal or not)...when the check engine light blink on, the fan or something clicks, and then slows down a bit, the CEL flickers a little, then goes off. The fan then speeds back up (repeat this process forever ) the engine turns over, but seems it isnt getting any fuel, so im thinking possible clogged fuel pump? (any suggestions there would be awesome). I have the battery on a charger on a 2amp slow charge to see if it possibly isnt turning fast enough, not sure if that makes a difference (as I said, kinda a noob on this car)...

The only other things I could think of, right now, are possible bad fuel injectors (but they arnt used to START the engine are they? or do not only my supras have a Cold Start Injector?) or spark plugs...I figure ill go and change out the plugs later seeing as I dont think they have ever been changed, the car is pushing 198k miles, and its time it got some TLC...

Any info is greatly appriciated, and sorry if I made a repost of anything, I got off work after a graveyard shift, and I cant sleep, but am extremely groggy, so sorry if i missed something [:'(]

Old 11-19-2008 | 05:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Engine Problems (noob alert)

I would say you deffinatly have an electrical or computer problem. You CEl or fan should not be doingf those things. The fuel system may be also affected by it.
Is there an aftermarket alarm installed? Or any other thing installed where some one would have tapped into the wires? If so try and delete thtat item or items and hook the wires back up like normal. Also try and have your computer checked. One thing you can do is a wiggle test. Move wires and plugs around and see if there is a change and take and give your computer a slight twist. Or check the junk yards or Craigslist.org or try and find a computer you can test with to see if that clears the problems.

Old 11-19-2008 | 07:49 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

I would start by spraying a little starter fluid into the TB. This will help tell you if its a fuel or computer problem. If it runs for a second then gives out then you know you have some spark. If it doesnt do any thing but crank then you know there is a issue some where in the electric. Use just a little bit when you crank the car for 3-5 seconds. Dont use too much or use it over and over you or over time you will create a ether baby.

Old 11-20-2008 | 07:56 AM
|

no aftermarket anythings i dont think except for maybe radiator, if that counts...hehe, its not a performance one, just a replacement one for the one my mother blew up >_<.

But, I did spray a little bit of starter fluid into the Air intake, not into the throttle body, I prolly should have thought a little more before doing so. ah well, always tomarrow. Um....I prolly should go unplug the battery for a while as well, maybe clear any codes, reset the alarm, I think there is a factory alarm, but im not sure. My grandfather never told me, he just said most Chevys had one, like his Silverado truck has one.

Um, lessee....Ill post up tomarrow on what I find out, or have happen. im thinking its the spark plugs, wires, or fuel somewhere. I figured an engine in simple when you break it down, its just simple in many complex places. lol...

thanks for the replies, ill catch you all later.[&o]

Old 11-20-2008 | 04:28 PM
Overdrive Member

There is no factory alarm. Only the passkey/vats system. If you have anything like a remote to turn some thing on and off then that is aftermarket.
If you have an alarm I would strat by removing it.

In fact many of the "Factory" alarms are not from the factory. They are factory approved dealer installed alarms. My brother has one on his 05 Silverado and his GF has one one her 07 Saturn. Most dealers install them first thing so if they get stolen off the lot and then add the cost onto the bill. Both cases my brother and his GF got the cost taken off because they are not from the factory. They even have the Genuine GM mark on them.

Old 12-05-2008 | 05:19 PM

MADMIKE Z28 IS A DUMBASS. IT'S MOST LIKELY THE INJECTERS YOU CAN USE INJECTER CLEANER ON THEM,OR THE FUEL PUMP MAY BE CLOGGED HAPPED ON MY 91 CAMARO TRY PUTING GAS IN THE INJECTER HOLES OR PUMP THE GAS RAPEDLY TO GET IT STARTED

Old 12-05-2008 | 05:59 PM
Overdrive Member

Wow and having only 4 post you know this.

You may have missed this but there are some very simple rules that this community lives by.
https://camaroforums.com/rules.asp
They are pretty much basic and easy to follow rules that many other forums use.

LEARN THEM, KNOW THEM, LIVE BY THEM.

Old 12-06-2008 | 12:30 AM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 91CAMARORS305V8

MADMIKE Z28 IS A DUMBASS. IT'S MOST LIKELY THE INJECTERS YOU CAN USE INJECTER CLEANER ON THEM,OR THE FUEL PUMP MAY BE CLOGGED HAPPED ON MY 91 CAMARO TRY PUTING GAS IN THE INJECTER HOLES OR PUMP THE GAS RAPEDLY TO GET IT STARTED
BAHAHAHA! and mikes the idiot.. your statement is full of some of the worst ideas ive seen yet.if its not running, how is fuel injector cleaner gonna fix this problem? the injector holes? good luck getting gas into them as they are about as small as a syringe. and why.. oh why would he pump a fuel injected car?

anyway, on to the question at hand.. what kind of injection does this have? the TPI or the TBI or the carb? if its all factory ( aside from the radiator) that would help us greatly to know what your running.

there are a handfull of people on this forum that know what they are saying as far as the third gen camaros are concerned. Mike is one of them, listen to what hes saying about this stuff and ignore that 91camaro guy..

Old 12-06-2008 | 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hee...hee...hee, Mike is a dumbass? I thought only those of us who have known him for a while are qualified enough to say that?
Anyway, a simple squirt of starting fluid or a little gas poured down it's throat will tell whether or not it's a fuel supply problem.
If all else fails, hit it with a hammerfer!!!

Old 12-06-2008 | 12:46 AM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Hee...hee...hee, Mike is a dumbass? I thought only those of us who have known him for a while are qualified enough to say that?
Anyway, a simple squirt of starting fluid or a little gas poured down it's throat will tell whether or not it's a fuel supply problem.
If all else fails, hit it with a hammerfer!!!
id call him an old fart. or something to that affect. or taunt him, but me and him usually team up and go nuts on scott.. haha

Quick Reply: Engine Problems (noob alert)