Engine Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine Heads?

Well I started to work on my engine a bit, adding new parts here and there but Now Im at the point where my intake manifold and exhaust manifolds are off and Im thinking, Why not pull the heads to go get rebuilt?

But 2 things came to mind, new heads or get the old ones P&Ped and rebuild, point blank, Wont any Chevy SB engine heads fit on a 305?

Old 12-28-2008, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Engine Heads?

If yer gonna pull the heads, just pull the engine and drop in a 350. Reasons....
1) Cost....a full head rebuild will run you 200-400 dollars EASILY....

2) Reliability......Putting fresh heads on top of old pistons and rings can cause problems. This may be rumor or voodoo, but several guys with way more experience than me have said the same.

3) Performance....I know a well worked 305 can produce horses that will rival 350, but just freshing up the heads wont make any signifigant gains.

4) Ease of work....if you allready have the engine stripped that far down, all thats left is motor mounts and the bolts to the tranny.....again, just pull the engine. If you have never pulled a motor before, its very easy (also time consuming) and probably one of the most rewarding experiences that a home mechanic can have.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Sadly I dont have the money for a new 350 else I would have done that already, I can get a use 350 for around... $400? But it will easly have over 100K Miles

Oh and another reason is room and the fact its around 0F in my garage. They said the garage was a 2 car garage, Id say its a 1 and a VW Bug, probably less seeing as my Camaro barely fits in there with room to work around it

Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

If I remember the TBI heads correctly they are the swirl port design, 65 cc chamber? These are not the best design to dump money in for porting the upper end flow isnt real good. Any 1st gen smallblock head will bolt to the block, some have differnt accessory bolt patterns or non at all, chamber sizes very as do valve sizes. The 305 has the same stroke as the 350 but the bore size is smaller which limits what head you "should" use. Too big of a valve could cause interference with the cylinder wall or at a minimum cause valve shrouding distroying the flow capabilities the head shows on paper. Also to consider is the chamber size a 76 cc chamber would kill your compression and result in a power lose even if the head flows more. In short yes about any 1st gen 23 degree head will bolt to the block but only a few would help your case. I wonder what the tpi head would do I think it has a 58cc chamber I dont have a comparitive flow chart for them though I also would check if your manifold would bolt up.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok then... Um how much do you think an engine rebuild would cost for a 350 engine?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

This is kind of a tough question because it depends on what condition the engine is in prior to rebuild . I would say it would be a gamble to save money by buying a complete 350 anddoing a stock rebuildvrs buying the universal 350 gm sells http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...;ProdID=224002.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

True, and uh dumb question but shouldnt the EGR Valve ports actually Go somewhere? I pulled my intake and I look on the intake, Theres the EGR ports, I look on the head, Just flat meta. And Im talking about the 2 little ones right next to eachother on one side

Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hmmm...yes, the ports on the intake should mate up to exhaust passages on the head.
It's possible that your heads have been changed in the past?
Have you looked up your head casting numbers?
And I'm not trying to make you sound dumb, but with looking at the intake, did you trace the EGR to the correct head?
Just making sure you didn't get turned around if you looked at the intake upside-down.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I have no clue and I have a Rebuilt/Restored title so idk, I dont even know where to look for the numbers.

And I fully understand And Just for that reason to make sure I didnt screw up myself I checked both and nither side have that port

(If I have a 350 Im going to be a little blow away)

Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, that would be a bummer if you really had a 350!
Take a look around here for block & head #'s info: http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...oding-help.asp
The head casting numbers are on top of the head, under the valve covers.

Quick Reply: Engine Heads?