EMISSIONS =( LF STOCK TBI air intake + pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default EMISSIONS =( LF STOCK TBI air intake + pictures

So I have recently moved to California with my 1990 camaro rs TBI and I am trying to pass emissions.

I took it to a shop today that a lot of my friends trust and the guy takes a 5 second look at the engine and says that the air intake i have for my camaro is not legal nor are the air breathers for the valve covers because they do not have a line connecting them to the intake.

I have been looking all over pictures of the STOCK air cleaner that comes with the car originally to see how it sets up.

I am also looking for a STOCK 1990 TBI air Intake,

Like the one pictured in this picture.
So please if anyone knows where I can get one, I would appreciate it.
I've tried ecklers,ricks and rockauto, close but no dice! thanks

Last edited by B_Dubya; 01-30-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 AM
4th Gear Member

More than likely, salvage yard tours are on the agenda.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
More than likely, salvage yard tours are on the agenda.
Hey Everett! Thanks for the reply!

Yes I went to one today here in San Jose and they don't have anything for my car and they say that is the general car people are looking for. I think i'm best off looking for out of state...

In conclusion... if anyone is out of state and doesn't need/want theirs.

Let me know! I want to BUY!!

Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go to ebay and search "Camaro TBI Air Cleaner", there are a lot of them for sale out there in ebayland.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Go to ebay and search "Camaro TBI Air Cleaner", there are a lot of them for sale out there in ebayland.
Wow sure enough Camaro 69, you were right!!

However... i'm still having trouble finding the hose that comes down from the cleaner on to the manifold bracket next to the valve cover.

Any clue as to what that hose is called?

Thanks for the reply! I Hope the 69 is still rnning strong!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's a heat riser tube. Right above that on the snorkel is a heat controlled flapper valve. When the engine is cold, heat from the exhaust manifold is drawn into the air cleaner, then once the valve warms up and opens, all the incoming air is drawn from the front. Being that you're in Cali, if it were mine, I'd pull that (restrictive) valve out and cover the opening. That pre-heat setup, or absence of one, has no effect on hot engine emissions, which is when it gets tested. I presume you currently have an open air filament air cleaner? Does California require you to have the stock air cleaner on as part of a physical inspection, or was it just the guys opinion that your air cleaner would make your car fail the sniff test?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh thank you!!!

He said that you can't have an open air intake, you need the closed one, because the closed one has that heat riser tube and it has something to do with the emissions.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

he is also saying my moroso open air oil breather caps for my valve covers are illegal.

does anyone know if i need the valve covers to have breathers?
because I do have one pcv valve that is sticking in my valve cover + an oil breather. You can kind of see the pcv valve behind the alternater in this picture.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, they don't like open crankcase venting. You don't need two breathers on the same side like you have. Remove the drivers side breather and put on a rubber valve cover cork. The pcv valve setup stays. What do you have on the passenger side? There you need to have a breather tube that connects from the valve cover to the air cleaner.
The air cleaner, your existing one might have a slight effect on emissions when the engine is cold, but not once the engine is hot. If that part is determined necessary by them through the physical inspection, then you're not going to get away with what you have. Still, if it was mine, I would gut the valve that's inside the snorkel, but keep the outer parts and heat riser hose in place to make it look legit.
Again, ebay is the place to find what you need: Heat Riser Hose

Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow thank u so much!!! i need that tube!
I have oil breathers in each of my valve covers, one on the right cover and one on the left cover.
my right cover also has a pcv valve.
i did purchase some valve cover oil filler caps. NAPA AUTO PARTS
i plan to take the breathers out and just plug it.
i just got the cleaner too, i just need the hoses now

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What do you have on the passenger side? There you need to have a breather tube that connects from the valve cover to the air cleaner.
i see no setup where the left valve cover connects to the air cleaner.
i plan to just plug it. will that cause an issue??
i dont see any other camaros with something like what u t mentioning..

Quick Reply: EMISSIONS =( LF STOCK TBI air intake + pictures