Electirc Fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Angry Electirc Fan

I have an 87, 2.8L, 5 speed, and all of a sudden after I burnt a fuse link and replaced it with some wire my fan stop working.....I have replaced the relay, fan motor, temp sensor (radiator and block) and the ECM and still nothing. I don't know how the put a test light on it due to it has to get to a certain temp before it kicks in???? Any help out there???

Thanks for your time..

Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Droid

Is the fan getting power at the fan connector? By the way, replacing a fusible link with plain wire is good way to start a car fire, and then you won't have to worry about the fan anymore.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by OZ87
I have an 87, 2.8L, 5 speed, and all of a sudden after I burnt a fuse link and replaced it with some wire my fan stop working.....I have replaced the relay, fan motor, temp sensor (radiator and block) and the ECM and still nothing. I don't know how the put a test light on it due to it has to get to a certain temp before it kicks in???? Any help out there???

Thanks for your time..

I had a 1988 6 cyl camaro rs and now have an 87 camaro both cars my electric fans were not coming on since i could not figure it out and didnt want to blow a lot of money i hooked them up to a silver toggle switch in the car under the dash and just flip them on when i am in the car and they are needed. maybe not the best fix but for a daily driver it works

Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Valicswarrior
I had a 1988 6 cyl camaro rs and now have an 87 camaro both cars my electric fans were not coming on since i could not figure it out and didnt want to blow a lot of money i hooked them up to a silver toggle switch in the car under the dash and just flip them on when i am in the car and they are needed. maybe not the best fix but for a daily driver it works
hmmm how much work was it to put that toggle switch in if you dont mind me asking? I would like to have that set up as i use my camaro as a daily driver

Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by louiefelix
hmmm how much work was it to put that toggle switch in if you dont mind me asking? I would like to have that set up as i use my camaro as a daily driver

Its easy you need to clip the two positives the one to each fans and connect them to one wire that you can run in on the drivers side under the master cylinder and run a second wire un the master and run it straight to the battery then grab a $5 toggle switch from autozone or where ever mine was only like a 20 amp switch and connect the 2 wires it took me like 15 mins to hook up.if you need to i can try to take some pictures of what i did

Old 07-19-2010, 04:26 PM

yeah pics would be good if you dont mind

Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

SHOULDNT RUN TOGGLE SWITCH DIRECT, ELECTRIC FANS DRAW ALOT OF POWER. YOU CAN MELT WIRE OR THE SWITCH, OR EVEN YOUR CAR.

if you want fans on a toggle a relay should be used with their own set of fuses

Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Cool Update

I tried doing it the right way and replaced everything I could find to make the the fan work......There must be a wire broke or something???? But any way I took some of the advice and hooked up a toggle switch and put a 30 amp fuse on it and it runs like a champ.....Thanks for the input!!!!!
OZ87

Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by OZ87
I tried doing it the right way and replaced everything I could find to make the the fan work......There must be a wire broke or something???? But any way I took some of the advice and hooked up a toggle switch and put a 30 amp fuse on it and it runs like a champ.....Thanks for the input!!!!!
OZ87
Like i said i ran my 88 for like 2 or 3 years that way and my current camro is set that way.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

you can buy aftermarket wiring kits with either a radiator probe or a fitting for the head that offer user temp settings. i have on in my blazer because i converted over to an electric fan. it works great and has an override wired in so you can either turn the fan on by a switch or like i did, and ran that onto the a/c clutch wire

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...h&Ns=Price|Asc