Doorframe + thermostat + cracked dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Doorframe + thermostat + cracked dashboard

Well, thanks to our bitterly cold -40 degree weather we had back in January, the dashboard of my IROC got a crack in it. Just a hairline from about the middle of the steering wheel to the defrost vent. And the corner of the dash on the driver's side got cracked pretty badly and the outermost layer has chipped off.

I'm hoping the hairline crack is fixable, although for the other bit it looks like I'll have to replace the whole dashboard. Does anyone know of a good product to use to cover up or fix it for now, since a new dashboard is out of the question for the time being >.>

And as well- most of window frame on the driver's side has come loose- it looks like it might be warped somewhat. I can take pictures tomorrow if it's necessary but it looks like I might also need to get that replaced- That ought not to be very expensive I think but...

Aaaand I need a new thermostat. I've been trying to decide whether to go with the stock 195 degree or for a 160 degree- I'm leaning toward the 160 but would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thanks all!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Doorframe + thermostat + cracked dashboard

Good luck on trying to repair those cracks. Also I would go with 180 deg thermostat, 160 deg is to low and requires a chip change for the ECM if you didn't know.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Actually I didn't know that. >.>

I'll think it over a little bit longer before I actually order anything though- not like it's a big purchase but I am a bit short on funds until next Thursday :/

I'm thinking for the doorframe and possibly even the dashboard as well I might just take it to a body shop- it'd be nice to fix it myself if I can, but it's one more thing I've got a week to think over >.>

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: blackz87

Good luck on trying to repair those cracks. Also I would go with 180 deg thermostat, 160 deg is to low and requires a chip change for the ECM if you didn't know.
Exactly... A 180* is the perfect temp for any car that is not highly modded... Go to www.andysautosport.com and you can get a dash pad from there. They are pretty cheap, and use the same manufatures as everybody else. You can get a filler for the cracks, but its pretty stupid, cause itl just warp out with one hot day. Check around online, you can usually get a decent one for pretty cheap.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Does brand name matter at all? I've seen different brands with prices ranging from $7.95 to $11.99...

I guess it's probably not all that important with a part as inexpensive as this, but if it does make a difference then I do want to get the best.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:38 AM
4th Gear Member

No......Spend what you want they all are the same in my opinion.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:52 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I figured. Still, it never hurts to double-check and make sure, eh?

I'll be picking up the thermostat today in any case- and since I'll be at a Camaro/Firebird dealer I'll also be asking about the rest of the stuff I mentioned and we'll see what happens.

Thanks all!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear member

If you live in a really warm climat, try to get a drilled thermostat... That way its always running constant 180*. Its not that important, but lots of people use them in warmer places.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Uhh, the climate I live in varies from +35C in summer to -40 in winter. >.>

Although, I only run the Camaro during summer- once snow flies I put it away and pick up some cheap POS car to drive for a couple months.

Anyway I picked up the thermostat today and also grabbed a pair of K & N air filters. Looks like it's a bigger job than I can handle on my own with the thermostat, though :/

Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Where abouts in Canada do you live?? Im from Calgary... Anyways. Its really easy, should be 2 bolts, and a scraper to get the old gasket completely gone, pop in the new one, and done.... Some coolant will drain, but just get a butter container or somthing to put it in, reuse it if you want... Plug the hole with a rag or somthing to insure that nothing falls in.

Quick Reply: Doorframe + thermostat + cracked dashboard