decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default decisions decisions

i have a decision to make soon. Im gona pull the motor out and rebuild it soon. The oil burning seems to be from a valve seal. But if im gona have it out, i might as well rebuild the whole head right? start fresh?!?! Well, i would have it done cause i would want some work done to them at the same time. But now heres where things get trickey for me. I looked up a set of cast GM vortec heads, assembled for the set ( 2 heads) its less than haveing both current heads worked. They might be garbage anyway cause that engine got WAY WAY hot and may have warped a bit so there would be just that much more money to have them milled if they can even be saved. I know those vortec heads are fairly good heads. there are MUCH better heads out there, but for my dollar, i think im gona get the vortec. 64cc combustion chambers means a higher compression with a good set of pistons. Im only looking for 9.5:1 or so. Anybody happen to know the max cam lift on these things? I looked on summit but couldnt find it, ill check jegs when im done here.

And yes, i know this means a new baseplate for the tpi ( almost 500 bucks [:@]) so all in all it would cost me a little bit more to get it all that it would to get the heads worked and rebuilt. But i would probably get a high flow baseplate and runners eventually ( when i get it running well and all that) anyway. So maybe ill just do it now while the engine is out and easier to put the baseplate on. runners and all that dont look like they would be too difficult to do in the car other than the leaning over ( lower back problems ).

Anyway, i guess the question is have any of you installed the vortec heads on your cars? and how do you like them if you have?