Could use all the help i can get on this one

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Default Could use all the help i can get on this one

My all original 1988 iroc 350 tpi SES light comes on intimately and the car generally runs like **** intermitted. Idles rough also when it runs like ****. It will cough and chug and about die when at a low power settings around 50mph. It throws the Mass air flow code and burn off rely code. Here is the list of things I have tried to fix it.

2 Mass air flow sensors
1 mass air flow relay
3 computers
Throttle position sensor
Coolant sensor
Oxygen sensor
and ohm checked the wiring to the Mass air flow sensor

I am pretty much stumped and so is the mechanic that helps me with it
And suggestions would be helpful

Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

What other related wiring is also in the loop? Meaning, I have a crank sensor and cam sensor that are related and this with the ECU are 3 in the loop.

So, you are throwing parts at it, but not catching that wire that is throwing the code. Figure you threw enough parts at it, it may... May boil down to a faulty wire:

1. Connectors not connected.
2. Wire is out of a connector.
3. Wire short to ground but not enough to burn a fuse as in a direct short, but a resistance bleed.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

so it chugs under low throttle at highway speed? does it chug during any other times, or just then? how often does it happen, one a week, couple times a day? does it seem to be burning too much gas, running rich, or any issues of accelerating under moderate and heavy load? i know that an evap system leak can cause a slight chug at highway speed when it tries to purge, but it wouldnt do that at idle. what rpm does your engine normally idle at, and where does it idle when it runs rough?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM

so it chugs under low throttle at highway speed? YES does it chug during any other times, or just then? ALSO AT LOW RPM WHEN JUST TAKING OFF how often does it happen, one a week, couple times a day? SOME TIMES IT WILL HAPPEN ALL DAY THEN IT WOUNT HAPPEN AGAIN FOR A WEEK OR EVEN A MONTH does it seem to be burning too much gas, running rich, or any issues of accelerating under moderate and heavy load? DOES RUN RICH SOMETIMES HAS A HARD TIME ACCELERATING THEN THE NEXT DAY RUN LIKE A SPIPPED *** APE i know that an evap system leak can cause a slight chug at highway speed when it tries to purge, but it wouldn't do that at idle. what rpm does your engine normally idle at, 1000 - 900 and where does it idle when it runs rough? 400 TO 500

ALSO CHECKED CONNECTORS WHEN WENT THOUGH THE WIREING