Complete rebuild of 89 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Default Complete rebuild of 89 Camaro RS

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but I plan on doing a lot of work and looking for a lot of suggestions. I have a 1989 camaro RS (6clyd) with in Mint condition, body wise. I plan on completely rebuilding the car; new engine, conversion from auto to manual, interior, paint job...the works. I only know so much about the car and am looking for some help/suggestion. Can I fit a long block engine into the car or do I have to put a shot block in there? I'm looking for 300-350hp from the engine. I've been looking at sites like Summit Racine for crate engine, do you guys suggest anywhere else? I will shortly post pictures of the car in its current (running) condition and keep you guys updated along the way. Any and all suggestion will be appreciated

Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear member

short blocks and long blocks are one in the same. its just that if you get a short block it doesnt come with everything and a long block is turn key

Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Ok thanks, I didn't know that. I thought there was actually a difference in size not that one was turn key, aka crate engine.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah. i think short blocks are just the bottom end of the engine and the block.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

from someone who has a race car he is wrong,the short block is the bottom of the motor no heads.the long block is with the heads not a compleet motor far from it.you should keep your money and buy a v8 or one all ready done you will save a tone of money and stress,you will have to change the motor, trans, motor mounts, full muffler system, and supp,and mabee a wire harness,that is alot of work for a car that you couldnt sell for 4000.if you want to build a car try and find a cheep older car to work on from 60s-70s you will probley make money or break even

Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 5861979z28
from someone who has a race car he is wrong,the short block is the bottom of the motor no heads.the long block is with the heads not a compleet motor far from it.you should keep your money and buy a v8 or one all ready done you will save a tone of money and stress,you will have to change the motor, trans, motor mounts, full muffler system, and supp,and mabee a wire harness,that is alot of work for a car that you couldnt sell for 4000.if you want to build a car try and find a cheep older car to work on from 60s-70s you will probley make money or break even
who ever said that i had a race car...

you can find long blocks that are turn key. not that hard actually. not saying that all long blocks come as a complete engine but a lot do.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
March 2008 ROTM

Im in the same process with the same car ( though mine was a 305 5 speed factory)

NO SUCH THING as a turn key long block OR shortblock. Shortblock is nothing more than the bottom end of the engine ( block and rotateing assembly.) a long block includes cam lifters and fully assembled heads ( including pushrods). If you want a turnkey motor you have to get a crate engine.

Honestly, are you SURE you want to get into this big of a project without even knowing the difference between a longblock or shortblock? thats kinda car 101. Not saying you shouldnt, im having a blast with mine. but maybe your getting in over your head..

I can tell you from my own experience. take it slow. do it in parts if you can help it. Motor tranny work. then body, then interior. Or something like that, split it up. i wish i woulda. but now mines in shambles and its gonna be a LONG time before i can drive it again.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i agree with 350 rs not only that you have to look at your money return and before you know it you will have 5 times what the car is worth into it.i would sell what you have and and add to it for a while and buy one that is done or all most done you will save alot of money and headach,i have built probley 10 cars from nothing and owned over a 100 cars so far and i wish someone would have told me this.i have lost in the 10s of thounds of dollers in the past be smart and take my advice

Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Thank for all of the advice guys. I am looking for more of a crate engine then one to build myself, since I don't no to much about it and it will be cheaper. I am planning on keeping this car for atleast another 10 years and by that time the value of the car should go up, or i'd believe so. This is is not and nor will ever be a daily driver. I am rebuilding the car because I just love the car. I am not trying to fix it up and then sell it for profit. I'm planning on keeping it, putting it in a few shows and just having fun with it. I bought the car for $500, thought someone I know. There is no rust on the body, not dent/dings. Hasn't been in any accidents. So taking all that into consideration, you guys dont think it would be a good idea to invest any money into the car?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

http://paceperformance.com/paceperfo...talog/tmbs.htm

Here is a good place to see the differant levels of crate engines you will find that a crate engine is just a long block, so don't get confused a GM Universal Crate engine will come with everything internal in the Block and heads it also comes with the covers valve, oil pan and timing chain cover. the typical long block has no covers. It really depends on who you are talking to. The site i posted also have the turn key motors all that means is all you need to make it run is add the 12v power but you still need headers, mounts, oil and so on. It sound's to me you have a nice project as far as tranny's go no T-5 they are weak T-56 you can install but you will need to modify a few things from what i have read, you can also look in to the TKO 500 a little price but worth it in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Complete rebuild of 89 Camaro RS