clutch wont disengage....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear member
Default clutch wont disengage....

wow its been a while since ive been on. but i need some help please. i just put a new clutch in my car cuz the last one blew a spring. i found out there was no pilot bushing in the crankshaft. propbly why it blew around 7000 miles. but i put in a brand new 10.4 in clutch with a new pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bushing. i talked to a few mechanics around here and they said the flywheel was fine since there was no hotspots or wear on it. i took a da sander to it to smooth it out they said i wont have a problem with it. the motor was rebuilt and a new clutch and flywheel was put on and after 1000 miles i bought it off my friend. i put like 5 or 6000 miles on it since. but the car wont go into gear and you have to start it in 1st. when im driving i have rev match the shift with the clutch to the floor. i bleed the whole clutch system and theres no air in the slave or master slave cylinder, the clutch was not put in backwards and the bolts were torqued to specs, the old clutch never gave me any issues until it blew up. one person told me to get a bushing for the clutch pedal, it goes on the master slave cylinder rod to the clutch pedal, because there isnt a bushing there. but the clutch comes so close to disengaging all the way. i ordered the bushing through gm but idk if it will really work. any advise????

Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM

If your new clutch set up isn't as tall (measured from flywheel out)as the old one or needs more pedal to disengage (different design). You might need an adjustable fork pivot ball. Check to see how far the slave is moving before the release bearing touches the pressure plate fingers.
Another possibility is a bellhousing alignment issue since you added the pilot bushing. If the input shaft is sticking in the pilot bearing the clutch will have little effect on trans speed.
Just some thoughts about what could have changed between your old set up and new one.

Russ

Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The arm and ball may need to be replaced. That should have been done with the new parts. The rod is pushed so much. You are still dragging that plate on the flywheel is why you start out in 1st.

So, you have to remove the mushroom ends of the ball to socket, rod to rod tip and the tips that touch the rod ends also lose the full throw that the hydraulic piston can, 'only push so far out' and that is all she wrote, you pulling mushrooms out of the lawn say you clean up the backyard some more so the plate lifts away from the flywheel.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear member

well thanks for the help but ive tried everything i can without taking out the tranny. and im not gonna do it again. i have no lift, i work in a dirt driveway, and i own crappy jackstands. im gonna bring it to my friends shop and hes gonna take care of it for me if i throw him 200 bucks. plus the job im working, i dont have time anymore.....

Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

ive done more work in a gravel driveway. its fun pulling motors in it. anyway, im betting something happened to either the throw out bearing or the the release fork.