Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch problems

Ok my clutch in my 89 305 is acting up, Its always been where the clutch petal is harder to push down then the brake pedal is pretty much! is this common? If not what do I do to fix it?

Second after a spirited drive sometimes I smell something along the lines of burnt jerky, Im thinking this is the Kevlar or w/e the clutch disk is made out of, does that mean my clutch is slipping badly?

Please help guys, Ive got most if not all the problems by myself so far but this one has me pretty much stumped

Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok to add to that If I change out the clutch, should I go with the one from Checker/Oreillys? Its a Fenco Brand. I race but slightly drag race a little, mainly just speeding down the highway.

And when Im stopped or moving and I have the clutch pressed down, My transmissions with make this loud vibration sound sometimes, and it will do it EVERY time if I rev it. IS that bad input bearings?

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 03-10-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello?

I take it that A. No one has a clue and doesn't want to say anything which I highly doubt Or B, no one really cares huh? Now I'll probably get a flame post huh?

I'll start with the hydraulics then work my way from there, maybe even just take the tranny out and rebuild or replace it. Put a new clutch and work my way from there.

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 03-11-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 AM

I dont know if your linkage is mechanical or hydraulic, but the burnt jerky smell suggests that your clutch is slipping to me. That with the sound you're hearing .. well, I would pull the old clutch and put in a new clutch and pressure plate with a new t/o as well.

The input bearing/bushing may be worn as well (in the flywheel). My thing is when I'm pulling the tranny, to replace that as well. And at less than $10.. why not.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok Thank you! Its hydraulic BTW, and I'll be looking into the new clutch later this week. possibly a new flywheel

Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 PM

for the street, the stock steel flywheel should still be ok. (resist the temptation to buy a lightweight aluminum flywheel - you need the mass of the steel one for daily driving conditions)

As far as the pilot bushing, I replaced the brass pilot bushing in my 81 vette with a roller bearing. (lots of mixed ideas from the Corvette crowd with that swap).

Being the numteenth clutch I've installed in this lifetime, I wish I'd gone with a roller bushing 20 years ago. no binding issues at all and super smooth shifts.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice. And I really was just going to buy a stock one anyways, I was told mine had been milled when got it cuz they put a new clutch in and then clutch was way easy to push before they changed it, it wasnt slipping either so idk why they changed it but oh well it was free so I didnt say anything

Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM

I'll bet thats the source of your problem. When I had an '86 Fiero GT a friend of mine who worked at a Pontiac dealer told me "never have the flywheel milled or resurfaced".

When it needed a clutch in the frozen winter, I told the shop swapping the clutch this but I dont think they heard me. When I got it back there was nearly nothing left for travel in the linkage.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably, and now I can tell my clutch is slipping. IT revs high for a bit from a stop till it grips at firs tI thought it was the tires but I never heard anything from the tires.

SO Im changing out the clutch and flywheel here soon.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:52 PM
Default No pressure on clutch.master cylinder

No pressure on clutch

Quick Reply: Clutch problems