Cheap mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Default Cheap mods

Anyone got any ideas for some cheap mods for under $200 bucks? I was thinking along the lines of an underdrive pulley to free up some horsepower but i'm not sure.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Cheap mods

i wouldnt do the pullies, minimal gains, and only at high rpm's. plus then you dont get a good charge, could over heat, and your power steering is a bit harder.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM

They say you can get up to 15 HP and you don't loose any charge, although i'm aware that all companies make outrageous claims. Well other than that i don't know what else to do, i'm thinking about spending between $100 - $150. Anything that you guys could come up with would be a great help. I found a pair of long headers for $175 bucks which i can put the little extra in there for that but i don't know the difficulty of installing these. Also i was thinking about and intake manifold down the line. What do you guys think of this?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Save your money ...No such thing as a cheap Mod to give you power increase. Old saying "it costs money to make Horsepower"and it still holds true today.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:05 PM
March 2008 ROTM

if your going the headers route, i would reccomend a set of shorty headers not long tube. you can use the long tubes, but its takes away from ground clearance, which i NEED just to get out of my driveway. Not a lot of loss with them, just in inch or two tops, but it was to much for me.

as for the manifold, with TPI, i havent found a cheap manifold that will give you a worth while increase unless you get new runners, plenum and throttle body to go with it.

but other than that, theresalmost nothing more you can do for that amount of money.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 PM

Well down the road I'm gonna save up for a major upgrade. I already have a new throttle body so that is already knocked out. If I have to get new runners and plenum so be it. I will just save up and do it all at once. As far as the headers that will probably be my next mod and then the manifold, runners and plenum way down the road. That is all I'm planning to do to the car in the time that I have it. Thanks for the advice about the shorty headers I will look into that.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

so it is a tpi car? i recomend a throttle body air foil, high voltage coil, spiral core 8.5mm plug wires, and a quality set of spark plugs. is it 85-89, or 90-92? if it has the maf, you can carefully remove the screens from it. also, there are little flaps in the intake area that you can unscrew, and if you are willing, remove some material from in there. these are all items i have in my car, and has picked up 7 mpg and about 6 mph on the quarter. if you have extra money, i suggest a performance muffler and maybe some k&n filters.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 PM

It is a 87 IROC-Z with a 350 TPI. I have done everything you listed above including 58 mm throttle body, rapid fire spark plugs and performance wires, air foil, maf screens, flaps and I do have K&N filters which is listed in my sig.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

aahh, ok then. well, do you have a high voltage coil? theyre worth the money, and mine was only like $50. you could also get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. under drive pulleys if you dont live in a very hot envrionment. 1.6 aluminum roller rockers if you feel like getting into the engine could add about 20-30 hp.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM

I have the fuel pressure regulator, and unfortunatly i do live in a pretty hot environment (between 80 - 95 everyday). As far as the roller rockers i was looking in to then but a buddy of mine told me they were a pain to instal and i don't know if i'm that good enough or feel comfotable enough with tearing my engine apart.

Quick Reply: Cheap mods