Caveman305's Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Been a long time since i updated,

its finally warm outside consistently now so we have began the body work again, still working the door putting the final touches on it, then we can move on to the small dings on the pass side, and re-fitting the pass side fender that the P.O's Mechanic decided to use as a jacking point

i will be uploading pics soon

Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

wow, i had completely forgot about updating this thread, the bulk of my posting happens over at TGO

i apologize for that

here is a run down and update of everything that has happened with the car since i last posted

first off, i was trying to restore my RS on a retail salary(we all know how much of a joke that is) so it was painfully slow going, I am now a Computer Analyst for the local school system, much happier where i am and a lot more money flow for the toys.

so i almost have the door finished being smoothed out, the only thing left is the body line, but the door itself is straight with no waves at all.
the entire car is in primer.

a new group formed called the Mullet Militia, started as a joke but is 100% serious now, it built up fast, so i decided to pull the RS out of bodywork hibernation and start driving it again. about a month after getting it on the road, the hose between the fuel pump and sender developed a split.
so i dropped the tank(no cutting holes here) and replaced the entire sending unit and pump, now the fuel pressure is strong(steady 11 psi) and my gas gauge finally works right after all these years(still fluctuates with gas sloshing due to no baffles) with a full tank the needle stops right at F and once i hit E i know i'm actually empty, although i don't let it go that low every time, just tested it to make sure E meant i only had a 3-4 gallons left

while i was preparing the car to be road worth again(tune up, brakes, etc.) the opportunity to buy an Iroc came my way, so i snatched it up
background on that car was it belonged to my wife's uncle, unfortunately he ended his life in 2001, the car was sold to a family friend who let it sit and rot until 2006, when my wife's other uncle purchased the car back, replaced the intake snorkel(it was broken and had a squirrels nest in it) and had the car repainted, at which time 5.7 badges were added to the car(the paint is shot now, so it's another project car)

i had the car shipped up to Maryland from Cocoa, FL, car cost $500, shipping cost $500, so for 1k i got a 5 speed Iroc and it is the exact car i have been eyballing since 2007

the car is an '89 IROC-Z Lb9 T5 car, 15" double stripe iroc wheel, aluminum drum 3.08 rear, aluminum drive shaft, non-peanut cam car.

I will be installing a new fuel pump and getting the car started soon, once its running i was told it needs a clutch but i can't verify that yet, already have the clutch kit to put in if so. we had it running on starting fluid, it sounds nice and healthy, and man does the cam they put in the 5 speed cars sound nice

well i hope to update more soon, ill have to post pics here for everyone to see

Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

im also not sure when the projects board was started, but if a moderator wants to move this thread there it is fine with me!