Carb help and smoke smoke smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Going back to your earlier post...you don't want to have a breather on each valve cover, with nothing else. You should have a breather on one, and a PCV valve on the other which connects to the manifold port (large center one) on the carb. That will help to vent the crankcase and help alleviate your "cigar breather" syndrome!
I take it this is a high mileage engine? It sure sounds like your getting blow-by at the rings due to your oil turning black so fast. And the smoking out the valve cover breathers would by blow-by past the valve seats and guides. The smoke upon start up is the valve stem seals. Your engine is just plain tired! But, if you were to replace or rebuild an engine, you would be better off with a 350 as suggested. The 305 has too many performance limitations as compared to the 350, and it costs pretty much the same to replace or rebuild either one.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Heres where smokes come out of and on the other side where the breather is.

I tried connecting the carb hose to it. but it stall out.

So I have it connected to the vacuum unit. as shown

The car has 146k on it. I'm 19 and I have a passion for muscle. I'm loved cars since i got one . I did college prep in school but wish I did vo tech. mistake I didnt learn till to late.
Now I have a 7.50 job and a baby lol.
So its more of a hobby now than a career im interested in.
I think I would get more out of rebuilding it than replacing it.
I'm not interested in power. This is my daily driver and hope I can keep it on the road for as long as possible.
I hope to have an 1st or 2nd gen project car later on in life but for now I would like to get more experience.
Wish I had more friends who could helps hands on.

Last edited by Mesosneaky; 06-07-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, so you already have a PCV valve, not the way you described it. Have you checked to see if the PCV valve is good (it looks old), or try replacing with a new one? The engine shouldn't stall out if it's working correctly.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Ok, so you already have a PCV valve, not the way you described it. Have you checked to see if the PCV valve is good (it looks old), or try replacing with a new one? The engine shouldn't stall out if it's working correctly.
I'm sorry for that. Please be patient with me. I'll take pictures of anything if needed. I'll go to the parts store and get a new pcv vavle today on the way to my nans. I'm leaving now so wont be back till later.

Yes its old. I replaced the valve covers and took that one from the old one. but it worked properly on the old valve covers. But I'll due for a new one anyway i suspect.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Mesosneaky
Ok I have an edelbrock carb with 3 hose connections on the from 2 small ones on the left and right. They are both capped. and a bigger one in the center going to the vaccum unit. I tried to put it on the valve breather it stalls out. If I cap it, it also stalls out. So I was wondering whats the correct setup for the 3 connections? Than there is alot of smoke coming from both valve cover breathers constantly, like a lit cigar. Also on start ups big smoke puffs blow out 85% of the time, cold/warm/hot it dont matter. So just looking for whats up.

Its and 84 z28 w/ 305

Thanks for your help.

I have edelbrock carbs on two of my camaros. My 92 remodified camaro has a crate 350 with an edelbrock 800 cfm electric choke and my 81 z28 has an edelbrock, part number 1406, 600 cfm electric choke. The 800 is edelbrock part number 1813. The big hose port in the middle is for pcv. the vacuum port on the left is for vacuum advance to the distributor. the vacuum port on the right is to your transmission advance. Only one of these will be plugged off. I have MSD ignition with vacuum advance to the distributor. So hence, the right port is plugged off. to adjust you carb. there are two screws next too each other. Idle screws. One for air and one for fuel. One at a time turn a screw all the way in till it comes to a stop and the turn it out one and a half times. do the same to the other side. And from there mess with them only at max at quarter turn out until the motor is running smooth.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Actually, you want to go in the other direction with the idle screws to set them initially. To get them "just right", you'll need to use a portable tach. Back one idle screw out until the engine gets to the highest rpm reading. Then screw it back in until you see the rpm's start to drop. Now back it out again slowly until the engine is back to the max rpm reading you had with the first step, and stop there. Repeat for the second one. Any other way of doing it is just a "guess by ear".

Old 06-07-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well there is 3 screws actually. the two you mentioned, Air/Fuel. Than a third on the end for the idle. So do I got to mess with the Idle at all?
Right now I have them turned out at 4 1/2 each and than idle at 600-700 rpms.

Also I had pools of oil on top off my valves is that normal?

Last edited by Mesosneaky; 06-07-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mesosneaky
Also I had pools of oil on top off my valves is that normal?
That suppost to be there. When the engine is running oil is shooting from the small hole on the other end of the rocker arm

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

yes your correct with the different carbs issue. sorry .

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

my camaro was also an 84 305HO that had about 40000 miles on it, that sat for some time. after I got it running (easy) it ended up spinning a bearing. I got a 307 from my brother and put that in with a 350 cam. ( low funds, cause I want a 350) . but anyway I was surprised that the 307 has way more power then the 305 and the 305 was a pretty low milage motor.with the 305 I wasnt able to spin the wheels, but with the 307 its hard NOT to spin the wheels. with ypur 305 that hi in milage you may want to seriously consider a new motor, even if a jy 307 since they should be less expensive.also I live in ohio, so after 25 years we are not required to pass any emissions, so most all that was removed and I now have a 77 rochester with a non cc HEI. that alone may explain the increase in power but I dont think so.

also camaro69, I am not tring to knock you cause I do know you know your stuff, but when I do a carb I use both a tach and vaccum gauge, tring to achieve highest vacuum, then resetting the idle speed when thats achieved, then doing it again with the vacuum and idle speed. your way might be easier ( sound as though it wil be), but thats just how I have always done it. I do plan on tring your way next time I do a carb though. it will suck for me if your way is better. 35 years of doing it the hard way. LOLOL..

Last edited by jim022659; 06-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Carb help and smoke smoke smoke.