Car sitting in garage for 5 years. Where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Default Car sitting in garage for 5 years. Where should I start?

hi,im new to the site and need some advice. I have a 89 iroc convertible with 78000 original miles but has been sitting in my garage without starting for 5-6 years. The transmission is no good which is why it has sat there. I want to revive the car now but dont know where to start. A couple of things i want to do before starting is swapping the 305 for a 350 crate engine and buying a new transmission. Any recommendations on the engine and trans? I know i will need new tires, struts, springs, anything else? Thanks in advance to anyone with some help.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you could always find a wrecked LS1 car and swap that in along with a nice T56 trans

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I would start buy swaping the trans and all the fluids and battery and some fresh gas and get her running and drive it until you get everything together for your new eng swap. No reason not to enjoy it for the Summer and then do the eng swap during the winter.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

@Smee78 His transmission is no good, otherwise im sure he would be doing this.
@OP What is your budget? In the end all that matters is your budget.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 AM
4th Gear Member

I'm assuming since you're talking about a 350 crate engine and a new tranny, along with new suspension parts, you have a pretty high budget?

Everything depends on what you want from the car. A street/strip? Road course? Daily Driver? All the above?

I agree with BC. Why not find a cheap LS1 and T-56 tranny (or automatic if that's your preference)? $4-7k on ebay. A new GM performance turn key 350 would cost the same and that's without the transmission. Or be my hero and find a LT5 and stick that in there.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM

thanks for the advice. The car would be a street car. Not daily but just want something to drive around with some decent power. My budget is between 8 and 10k. I think i want a gm crate. I read the conversion on the 305 and 350 swap and the required changes. But what else other than those would i need? Im thinking of all the little parts i.e. fuel inj. wiring all that just swaps right? Also what transmission would you guys go with?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
4th Gear Member

The only issue I find with the GM crate engine is that they cost as much as a used LS1 with transmission. As far as that goes, if you could find a donor LS1 car that still has the engine and transmission, you'd be well on your way with minimal complications.
But the final decision is your alone. We are here only to help and give opinions. If you do chose to go with a crate engine instead, that's fine we'll still kindly help if trouble occurs. If you go with the LS1 donor, we'll still be kind to help.

As far as transmission it really depends. Do you want a manual or automatic? If you want a manual, a T-56 is a great transmission. They can withstand a ton of power and the double over drive is great for road trips. You could go with a tough Muncie 4 speed.
If an automatic is your poison, 4L60(E) is a good choice for the occasional driver. They can be built tough and provided decent mpgs. Turbo 350 and 400 come to mind also, but I've seen them more in high performance drag cars.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
The only issue I find with the GM crate engine (new engine with warranty) is that they COULD cost as much as a used LS1 with transmission (needing to be taken apart and inspected/rebuilt to ensure reliability). As far as that goes, if you could find a donor LS1 car that still has the engine and transmission, you'd be well on your way with minimal complications.
But the final decision is your alone. We are here only to help and give opinions. If you do chose to go with a crate engine instead, that's fine we'll still kindly help if trouble occurs. If you go with the LS1 donor, we'll still be kind to help.

As far as transmission it really depends. Do you want a manual or automatic? If you want a manual, a T-56 is a great transmission. They can withstand a ton of power and the double over drive is great for road trips. You could go with a tough Muncie 4 speed.
If an automatic is your poison, 4L60(E) is a good choice for the occasional driver. They can be built tough and provided decent mpgs. Turbo 350 and 400 come to mind also, but I've seen them more in high performance drag cars.

I modified your quote a little so apples can be compared with apples

Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Berlinetta I understand this and thats why I said "I would start buy swaping the trans"