Can I swap an engine in a 1 car garage? (overhead clearance??)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Can I swap an engine in a 1 car garage? (overhead clearance??)

OK, I know the heading sounded silly, but here is what Ive got going on. Ive located a 350 to drop in the 'Maro and I have nowhere to do the job. Add the sub zero temps and Im really stuck until late spring to roll it out on the driveway. So, I gots to thinking...I said to myself.."self, would a regular 8 ft ceiling in a normal residential garage be enough room to operate a cherry picker......" Is it possible, or should I wait until I have full access outside. (Friggen mid July at this rate.........) Ive never pulled a V8 before, (Ive pulled several 4's from junk cars) but I know how to do it 'on paper' (which means I know enough to get myself in trouble) Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Can I swap an engine in a 1 car garage? (overhead clearance??)

cherry picker will work up and down prob don't have room to pull it out and clear the car i'm in same boat will my elcamino motor is done but i use my 1 car as a shop and park two cars in the 2 car and i'm not puttin my gto out side for a week to drop a motor in so stuck till spring saves on the heatin bill in the garage i guess

Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear member

What year of GTO, you got?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Droid

You can probably do it by backing the car in all the way, andthe engine is ready to be pulledbring in the cherry picker from outside. May work out better if you push thecar out in driveway for the pull, as the top of the garage door may get in the way.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

o4 gto never even seen a wet road yet
goin outside or door open doesn't do any good hes tryin to stay warm i guess it would be as windy but still cold as hell

Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Droid

Will have to wait for a warm day or get a 100,000 BTU jet heater.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member

If you got 8' you can do it. Measure from the ground to the top of your hood. Double that figure. You know your motor sits in between the ground and the hood so that is how high you have to lift the motor to get it over the radiator suport will a little to give. That little give can be for the didstance between the chain and the motor. Also figure putting the car on a jack stand. How tall is the stand? Measure how high your cherry picker goes. If you really want to do it you can.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM
March 2008 ROTM

if you have exposed rafters, you could do like i did. Take a 4x4 piece of oak, and span it across the rafters, over 4 foot long of course, dont wanna chance it. Then take a chain hoist with one of them plates you can attach to the intake. We lifted the old engine, pushed the truck out, then lowered it enough to put it on a stand, backed the other truck in ( which had the new 350) hoisted it up, and dropped it in the old truck. VUALA! done.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Overdrive Member

When I got my first car it was my sister and she blew it up. So it needed a motor. I drove an eye bolt in a beam in the garage (4x10?) and used a come along to lift the engine and transaxle. But my house is old and has good wood. Not like the houses that have been built for the last 20 or so years. I had rollup doors put on and the installer could not drive nails into the wood.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 PM
March 2008 ROTM

you raise a good point there mike. however, with at least a 2x8 ( wich if i remember correctly from my archecture days) should be fine. You could probably get away with a 2x6,,, but i wouldnt chance my new motor, not to mention my garage,,, to it.

Quick Reply: Can I swap an engine in a 1 car garage? (overhead clearance??)