Can I get some opinions on upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:35 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Can I get some opinions on upgrades?

alright, here is the list of parts i am looking into buying. feedback would be great
headers and race muffler for a cat
jet performance chip
throttle body air foil and bypass (for summer)
high-po coil
fuel injectors

i already have a new cap and rotor, performance wires and plugs, intake air box mods, and no muffler. here is a list of items im interested in, but unsure of
twin 52mm throttle body
underdrive pulleys
syn gear oil

is there anything else i should look at?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Can I get some opinions on upgrades?

Think about what you really want to do with the car. A 305 is fine, but if you want more bang for your buck later. Save up for a 350. You can find them bored .040 over brand new on ebay for 650-700 all day long. Is the prize worth the work? A better throttle body is good, but your heads and intake is where the real power lies. You NEED mufflers, I don't know where you live, but I know in most states the exhaust MUST go past the last door jamb of the car. Be careful and compare bolt-ons yourself and find out what YOU want in the long run. Good luck!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 AM
4th Gear Member

All those are a waste of noney and will show no performance gains. The only one that makes sense is the headers. My opinion is that you read to much about what companies claim in horsepower gains from there products. Also there is no gains by adding the number together from each part. Again you did not state what engine & tanny combo you now have??

[IMG]local://upfiles/2696/514241CC5DF443EC813ECDBFE69B2BB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I agree with the guys above me. You will not see any horsepower gains out of those mods, even if any it would be very small. If I were you I would get a full exhaust first.Get some flowmaster 40 series mufflers, a high flow cat, a new y-pipe, and some good headers. Once youve done that get a new intake manifold. You should see good horsepower gains from that somewhere around 30 for the exhaust and about 15 from the intake. Dont waste you money on any of that little stuff seriously. Also you wont need to get a new chip anyway, they're overrated and you wont need one until you get a cam or heads.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What about switching to synthetic oil? vs. reg. GTX high milage and what do you recomend for a 6cly muffler still a 40 series flow.I was thinking maybe a delta 40

Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FunkyColdMedina

What about switching to synthetic oil? vs. reg. GTX high milage and what do you recomend for a 6cly muffler still a 40 series flow.I was thinking maybe a delta 40
Synthetic oil & Muffler are not going to turn a V6 into a track burner. But if it helps your SOTP feel[sm=gears.gif] go ahead, but don't waste too much money doing it.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

its a 305 tpi with a 700r4 and a shift kit. i am keeping this car as a daily driver as its my only transportation, and i plan on that for a few years to come. i eventually will get a 383 FI Blueprint engine and put it in. i dont have a shop, garage, or anywhere to work in order to do an intake (way too expensive, $800 from edelbrock), heads, or a cam. im looking for maybe 50 hp up from stock, and im halfway there with the exhaust. it exits in the same place, there just isnt a muffler.

im hoping to run mid 14's while still getting around 12-15 mpg.

i am also considering subframe connecters, strut brace (my car flexs a lot!), and some sway bars. i am also considering a set of drag slicks for the track, but i dont know what size to get for stock wheels.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

I am from Pa also if you have the emissions inspection in Gettysburg I would check with them before I would change anything they can be a pain in our area.The headers and exhaust seem like a reusable item when you upgrade to the 383. If you dont do alot of highway driving and your gear ratio is low a higher ratio will help.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 AM
March 2008 ROTM

i to concidered underdrive pullies. waste of money, when at ideal, expect unsuffecent charging and cooling. Plus only a small gain in power. not worth the several hundered you would spend on them. Spend the money on something more usefull, like a saving account toward that 383

Old 01-27-2007, 02:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would think of it this way. You could spend the money on all that stuff to add a little horsepower & torque to your 305. Or spend the same money and put in a 350 which will probably have about the same power stock, as the 305 would have with all that stuff. Thenyou've got a 350 which has more potential to grow from there whenever you save up money someday. This would also give you a lot of stuff for the 383 build whenever you do it. That's what I would do. My friend had a 305 RS with headers and I can't tell you how doggish it was compared to a stock 350 car. The 305's were pooches....do it right and go with the 350 right from the start is my advice.

Quick Reply: Can I get some opinions on upgrades?