Camaro rookie

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Default Camaro rookie

Hey all, thanks for letting me join. Just picked up my first camaro a few days ago and still have about 2k to spend on her. She's bone stock and in great shape but would like to get her up around 350-400 hp.
Any suggestions on first thing mods?
I'm new to the camaro world but not the go fast world. Any suggestions for a camaro rookie?
92' Z28 5.7 with auto trans.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tangerinez
Hey all, thanks for letting me join. Just picked up my first camaro a few days ago and still have about 2k to spend on her. She's bone stock and in great shape but would like to get her up around 350-400 hp.
Any suggestions on first thing mods?
I'm new to the camaro world but not the go fast world. Any suggestions for a camaro rookie?
92' Z28 5.7 with auto trans.
Well, since you aren't new to the "go fast world" you would expect a few questions. Also, you would expect the same answers be it GM, mopar or ford heads/cam/ headers/ free flow exhaust/ injectors/tune.

The questions:

how many miles on the tranny? If it's low, then you might be OK. If it's high, then expect to say buh bye to the tranny once you put that much more torque to it.

How are the bushings underneath? Are they rotted?

If high miles on the engine, do you have the cash reserves to also take care of the bottom end? Why invest in top end work if the bottom end needs attention?

Is that 350-400HP flywheel HP or rear wheel HP?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM

The car has 122k. Original trans and from the looks of it, just about everything else is too. Motor mounts look good as well as the suspension mounts. Compression is good across the board and as far as I can tell the bottom end is alright but it's a little hard to check that completely.
I have an 87 grand national that pushes about 480 to the wheels but I don't quite want the maro runnin those kind of numbers. 350-400 at the wheels would make me happy.
But the grand national isn't a camaro and therefore the mods to make it go fast are a lot different.
I'm just wanting to know the best way to spend the 2k. I'm not taking into consideration any repairs. That will come out of a different fund

Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ive said this before.....350-400 at the wheels is at the very upper limit of this engine, and it will suck up every penny of that 2k budget of yours. Thats assuming you shop for every part, do all the work yourself, and scrimp wherever you can. My honest opinion? 400 RWHP is unrealistic on a 2k budget. Im just shy of the 400 hp mark (at the crank), I was VERY budget oriented, did all the work myself, and have about 2k in my engine.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Thats good to know. So maybe a realistic goal is to freshen up what is there a little bit and maybe shoot for 300-325 at the wheels?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

is it tuned port injection?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Yes, I believe it is. I bought from the original owner and he still had the vehicle spec sheet in the glove box. It has the B4C package according to the "window sticker"
Like I said, I'm new to the camaro world so I'm still learning about this stuff.
And yes for all those tha will ask, the vin on the car and window sticker match and I I've also verified with a local chevy dealership.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

if its a true B4C, i would freshen up what is there and do minimal tasteful mods, B4C's are not very common and do not come on the market often, in fact the only ones i have seen come on the market have been bought and wrecked only a few weeks later

now that's just a die hard Thirdgen fan talking

if you really want to hit the 400 RWHP fast and cheaper, its still going to cost more than 2k, but do i hear an LSx swap coming......lol, that would be the best way to go, these 350 TPI's are good motors and can run with the best of them, it just takes a load of money and work to get it there compared to dropping in and wiring up a bolt on LSx.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default B4c

If it is a clean B4C leave it alone, it will be worth something someday.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 AM
4th Gear Member

Yes, a wore out old Public sevice car RPO B4C (aka police car) "will be worth something someday". In your dreams.

Quick Reply: Camaro rookie