buying a camaro need an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Default buying a camaro need an opinion

i have been looking for a camaro for a while and i found one and i need a little help on it.

its a 1991 camaro RS with a 305 V8 and t topsit has a4 speed automatic transmission, the car has 160,000 miles on it the motor is origonal and runs like it was new the trans mission and rear end were both rebuilt the interior is clean but the bad parts about it are that he crashed it into a ditch 3 months ago and it needs the front ground effect passanger front fender and other minor body work also the frame on the passanger is slightly bent he told me of a body shop that will straighten it for$300 and i want to know is that possibleand if so for that price he wants $500 for the car i have seen the car beforehe took it into the ditch and it was a awsome car.

is this car worth it for a project car

Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: buying a camaro need an opinion

My first sugestion would be to take it to a body shop, and get a written estimate for the car, then, if that seems worth it, take it to a mechanic and pay them a few bucks to inspect the car for you, and make sure the car didn't suffer mechanically. If none of that gets you, and you think it's worth it (honestly, it's hard to judge from behind a monitor, since we can't see the car, nor will most of the active members know anything about the market for Camaros in your area)

Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Camaro/Firebirds in better condition are ou there. Those estimates for body work are lowball, nothing is cheap on these cars. Also when you are looking and thinking about a 305 understand what you are getting. It will NOT be a performace car. Late model imports will kill it.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 PM

first thing i only need a body shop to straighten the frame all the other work i can do myself i know the car is in good mechanical shape besides i havent found a decent camaro out there that is affordable they are all overpriced i could get a 85 iroc for $4000 with body damage a 94 z28 for $7000 with body damage 84 z28 $8500 with minimal damage 84 z 28 body is quite totaled and i have doubts that is runs for $1000 the rest are all V6 and im not getting a V6 and even those are over priced thats everything in a 50 miles radius of me i dont have many options

Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Now don't confuse what I'm saying here with knocking your capabilities, I'm just saying you need to be certain of what you're getting into. Did the quote on frame repair actually come from a body shop, or is it just a guess, because frame work can quickly escalate in price if there's anything onthere that you might have overlooked. Sometimes it's pretty easy to overlook a small crack in the frame. Just looking out for you here.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Frame repairs are a little difficult on a 3rd Gen car because they have NO frame andhave a UNI-BODY .

Old 02-14-2007, 09:10 PM

If were me, I buy the car for 500 dollars,no ?s ask. If the repairs its get to be to spensive for you, just make it in to a "Donor"or maybe Ebayed. Or you maybe find out thats nosing to it and you start to fix this car and you should be reward by driving one of this babys.
Now aboutthe 305, not very fast? comapare with what? A late model import? Well if a 305 is not well tuneup, etc maybe I dont know. But one thing I know for sure is: That my little 3.1 V6 got ways with those said "Late models import" All I see is Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, etc. Even an ocacional BMW. :=) Youre driving a Camaro and they not, so... I tell you I got an 2000 Honda Acord V6, nice all leather, impecable and I just give itto my little son.
So buy it and fix it.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 PM

I would pass. I bought mine with a stright body 92 rs 305 5 speed. The guys son over heated it a few times and now it wont start. Since I worry more about the shape of they body then I do mechanical shape I bought the car for 500 with a non running motor. Like I said I was more worried about the chassis and body than anything and I felt that a car that had never been wrecked was worth the 500. 3rd gen camaros around here that are in good shape, run well, and with no to little damage ( i.e. minor sheet metal damage) go for around 1500 to 2500

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

500 bucks, if the drivetrain is good and the interior is decent, you could part the car out and triple your money.

The 305 sucks *****, I'm sure you know this. Body work, especially when it involves straightening gets VERY expensive.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you could find a car with a good body I would say get one at a cheap price and put a 350 in it.

Quick Reply: buying a camaro need an opinion