brake line problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Default brake line problem

i have a 86 iroc that i have bought and i am in the process getting it on the street. after thinking that i had everything done i find a leak from the brake line. this car has been sitting for about 6 years and the brake line was stuck to the fitting so when i went to tighten it, the line broke. now you would think this is a easy fix, just get a union and a new line. well the original line must be metric or something. a 1/4 inch union is to big and doesn't seal and 3/16 is to small does anyone know where i can find metric brake line and unions for my problem.

where the line broke is right where the metal line screws into the rubber line that tees at the rear end.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: brake line problem

hmmmmmmmm ... i'm almost sure i've used a 1/4 compression fitting to fix a brake line. maybe not. at worst just buy some brake tubing and rerun the line. it's fairly cheap and easy to work with. Sick

Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear member

What about flaring, though? He didn't mention wether it was ISO or Double Lap, and they are VERY not compatible...

Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

Aww, cmon, Im sure you can get away with running rubber vacuum hose! All the homies do it!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Aww, cmon, Im sure you can get away with running rubber vacuum hose! All the homies do it!
[/align][/align]If you wanna die, go for it. Do you realize the kinds of pressures that exist inside the braking system? You probably aren't using the proper flare type for what's on there. What do the flares look like on the lines that you can pull? If you have flares that are ballooned out at the end of the line, that's ISO (aka bubble flares), if you have something that expands out in a cone shape, and is then pressed inward right at the tip, you have double lap flaring. You'll need a line, or a flaring kit, if you prefer, that is made for the particular flares that your lines and coupling are meant to use, since the two cannot be used on one another. Or, ifthat doesn't work, or just isn't your cup of tea,as Sick said, there's always rubber brake line (read brake line,not vac hose, or heater hose, or even garden hose.) I know you're probably not serious about that, but there are some"special"people on this forum, so you can never be too careful.[/align]

Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Is the line that is broke on the body or is it on the axle?

You might go down to a good parts store and ask them for the rubber "t" line. once you get it on the counter show them where the line connects...if they are clueless find another parts store...A good store (NAPA or such) will have lines..If it's the main body line, you may need to just replace the line...

http://classicindustries.com/ lists a new line at $50.00 for a standard steel line and $70 for the stainless steel line...I've used 4 of their line kits on rebuilds and they are very good.

Greg

Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM

it is the line on the body, it is metric, and the union will not work.

i will just have to get a full length line to run from the master cyclinder to the rear end.

thanks guys