Brake issue, I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Brake issue, I need some help

alright, i have checked everything from the rotors to the pads. both are brand new, correct part numbers (referenced through manual, gm dealer, napa, and online). my problem is that i have probably 1/4 inch too much of both, and the pads wont go over the rotor. its like that on both sides. i tried using a c-clamp to see if the piston would go back a little, but it wouldn't, and i wasn't going to force it. the edge of the piston is a little over 2 inches from the the edge to the back of the caliper, and between 1/8-1/4 inch of the the actual piston is showing beyond the seal. what is the problem, why is there so much material? i cant put the old pads back on because they covered in grease, gas, and brake fluid. i tried bleeding the caliper to see if there was pressure in there, and it didnt help. am i missing a step? ive never had an issue like this before on the cars and motorcycles ive worked on before

Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Brake issue, I need some help

The piston should go in and be almost flush with the caliper body. Did you try to open the bleeder and push the piston in? Does your C clamp close enough. Head to or call a parts store and see if you can get a measurment of thier pads. If it is the same with what you got then you know your problem is elsewhere.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

theres probably some buildup on the piston, sometimes they can be quite awnery to get them pushed all the way in. when i change brake pads i will use a pry bar wedged between the caliper and old pads and push the piston back in before removing the pads. you have to be careful when doing it that way but, i find it's much easier. Sick

Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

we got it. there musta been a lot of crap built up because it required some coorsive hammering to get them back. i used a slab of mild steel to lay flush against it, and used a steel rod to rach down past the outer part of the caliper. we got the pads in, calipers bolts in, and hoses reconnected all the while fighting 40-50mph wind gusts in a garage made of tarps and 2x4's. to do the rear, im lowering the front onto 6x6 wood blocks, and then jacking up the rear so that way i can just walk around the car and bleed them all

Old 12-02-2006, 04:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Now didn't I tell you to rebuild those calipers? Be careful about those now, as there's a good chance that one of the seals in there is f*cked up from all the debris in there. And when you're pushing the pistons back in, did you use an old pad with the c clamp? 'Cause the clamp alone won't do ****, since the piston will just bind on one side from uneven pressure.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:33 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i used a peice of mild steel that i had made a chisel out of (it was flat and about the size of a brake pad), then got them pushed back in