the black omen getting a 400SBC.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default the black omen getting a 400SBC.

well I just got a hxll of a deal. I got 2 complete still standard bore 400 SBC for $250.00.
so the black omen is getting one of them. now I just got to fine a 5 speed tranny.

this project 1987 camaro has been a bad omen from the minute I agreed to the swap for my 74 ranchero. normally, i just keep fords but for some reason i was thinking i needed a factory black T-TOP 1987 camaro. i guess because i remember from 1986 to 1988, i worked at a local chevy dealership, right out of collage and i was young and free. when it was slow at work. we would take the new cars and trucks and service them before putting them on the lot. that included a test drive. well about 10 miles from town the nice highway with a good S turn ,then about 1/4 mile down was 90* turn. good place to see how camaro handled and braked.

I found out there rebuilt 305 looks more like a krylon rebuilt with a valve job. so not trusting any ones work. I went out looking for different chevy engine. I figure if I got to rebuilt a chevy, might as well not waist time on 305.

I get a 350 with a hole in oil pan from the friend next door. thinking I could use the 305 crank and rods to repair the 350.
oh no,

the two rods are worn down to there shaft/beams. the rod journals on the crank is worn almost in half.
from what the owner of the 350 says .he lend the truck to friend, that drove the truck .not knowing in was only in second gear and our speed limit here is 75 mph! to top it off, he completely deaf. so he drove it ,till it stop running.

I push the two rods up into the cylinders and the 350 still turns over freely.
so now I have to worthless junk of steel. this car is living up to it name now. here more info incase you want to know that story; https://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38395

well Saturday night on Montana craigslist. a person has two 400SBC chevy for $200 each. one in parts and the other came out of a running car. so I email for phone number. when I call him. he tells me about how first one needs bored and rebuilt. I ask about the one out of the running car. he tells me. ran last week. I figure thats the one I want. so we agree to meet on monday morning. its about 98 miles one way drive for me to get to his place. the road leading to his house was under major road work and of course it had just rain a hour before I get there. so my truck was covered with mud. when I get into his shop. the running last week 400, I want! missing most every thing. it was just a long block. so much for come out of a running car last week! so I ask about the other one. he show me this complete short block. I ask where the missing parts on this engine. he tells me , it in back of my truck.
so there I'm standing, in this guy shop. thinking I just wasted $50.00 dollars on fuel and half days time. I look back and forth at the two engine. trying to figure which one worth $200.00. when out of the blue ,he say's. I give you both for $250.00 just to get them out of my shop. ok, I'm game was my reply.
we loaded both engines in back of my truck. then I back up to his truckout side for the rest of the parts, trying to load fast cuz it raining again and I'm thinking about the 5 miles of mud I got to drive in again. later that night when I'm back home from work. yes i did work 8 hrs shift after making the road trip.I figure I would unload my truck and check out just what I have.

I find two heads/two intakes/ timing cover/ 4 valve covers and misc valve train parts. I figure ,I have all the parts to me both engine complete.
the one(orange one) that came out of the running car has no ridge at the top of cylinders. sweet, I'm think I can maybe get by just overhauling that short block. then maybe using the top end off the 305
on it to bring the compression up from the factory 8.5 to 1.

the other block(dirty one) has ridge on it ,so it might need bored. not sure what to do with it yet? I will know more Saturday ,after I get everything cleaned up.
wish me luck because something on the black omen has to be good for change.

roy

Last edited by rancheronut; 06-17-2009 at 02:06 AM. Reason: where walldo