alignment specs, help? suspension geometry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default alignment specs, help? suspension geometry?

i just got my car aligned. my steering wheel is still cocked to the left, it may have been pulled off before, but thats not the concern

how many people know actual camber specs? i know from a bit of r/c car racing and video games that a lil bit of negative camber is good for cornering. however, on my printout of the specs shows that is set at .4* +. its slightly noticeable when the car is parked that that top of the tires are angled outwards. i know that positive camber is horrible for cornering as the tire is already putting the weight onto the outside edge of the tire as it folds over. however, since these cars arent double wishbone, does the camber angle change as the wheel goes up? i would think that the vehicle moving and braking would compress the suspension, changing it back to a negative camber.

now that my car has been aligned, it tracks straighter and behaves better, and has equal snap in either direction (used to prefer left turns to rights). however, the front doesnt feel as planted in the corners as it used to. now im not haulin *** into turns that it would understeer, but it just doesnt feel the same. should i have it set to about 0* camber, or a tad negative?

Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: alignment specs, help? suspension geometry?

I forget where I had factory specs but if you look in the Camaro performance handbook it recomends 1/2 degree negative camber.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i saw that as well, but they recomend that if you plan on doing a lot of fast cornering. i dont intend to go racing like that on back roads (thats what the geo is for), mine is a daily driver with occasional weekend racing/cruising

Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

ive taken some spirited turns the last few weeks, and there is some noticeable wear on the outside right along the sipes, but barely any on the inside. i dont think they will re-align it for free, so ill wait until another time before i get it set to -.5* unless my neighbor has the tools i can do it, which he might.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

On my 84 these are the specs my alignment shop set the car at. (I found an old reciept)
LT Camber = + 0 6/8 degree
LT Caster = +3 3/4
LT KPI/SAI = 14 1/2

RT Camber = +0 1/8
RT Caster = +4 3/4
RT KPI/SAI = 15 1/2
Total Toe = +0 1/32

My tires wore on the outside but that was from making sharp u-turns every day going into works parking lot. Camaros will do that.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

bringin back an old post but.....

i bottomed out the strut plates to set the camber (moved inward maybe half an inch), and the negative camber is just visually noticeable compared to the rear tires vs. the strongly noticeable positive camber. i still have to balance out the left side, but it handles so much better. it tends to wander a bit more, but the cornering is much better, even at low speeds.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

To center your wheel you need a thrust alignment!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i meant the left side has more camber than the right. but my steering wheel isnt straight. can i straighten it myself?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: microkid

bringin back an old post but.....

i bottomed out the strut plates to set the camber (moved inward maybe half an inch), and the negative camber is just visually noticeable compared to the rear tires vs. the strongly noticeable positive camber. i still have to balance out the left side, but it handles so much better. it tends to wander a bit more, but the cornering is much better, even at low speeds.
Why did you screw up the alighnment after you paid a shop to do it. you just threw your money away and changed your caster and toe settings. Now it must be realighned. I have done countless alighnments at work and can tell you that the factory settings can be modified. I know it may say -.50 camber but I would suggest a bit less -.20 to 0.0 and cars like these can do with a bit less caster about 2.5 to 3.0 with about 2 to 3 tenths crosscaster. I say this because .5 neg can ware the inside edge of the tire, just look at the front tires of the next ford contuor you come across. What you need to try and understand is that a move of any one of the three values, Camber, Caster, Toe, will affect the other two ALWAYS!. Also, before you get confused, what you had done was a thrust angle alignment, that is the industry standard now, no alignment shop uses the old string type setup anymore. All the latest equipment, latest being the last 10-15 years, references off the rear axle, thus, including thrust angle in the alighnment. My advise is this, Stop messin with the setup and take it to a suspension shop for the alighnment, not the idiots at Dobbs, but someone hwo knows what to do and cares about how it turns out. then once it's done, if it's right leave it alone.If not then take it back and make them do it again for free.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i know that it affects the other two parameters, but hasnt effected the handling of the car at all, except that it greatly increased cornering. before, the front end would skate on just off ramps, and the outer edge of the tire is already badly worn just from straight line driving. i dont take it into the corners fast because of the way it felt. i may be a bit too much camber for right now, but im still adjusting it. once i find the best inbetween on the camber settings, i can adjust the toe and caster. i picked up a suspension book, and im going off the specs given as a general guideline in a camaro performance book. plus im getting the help of a neighbor who races and he has some tools to double check everything.

Quick Reply: alignment specs, help? suspension geometry?