Advice on what to do with my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Advice on what to do with my camaro

Alrighty ladies and gents. You've always all been extremely helpful to me and anyone I know who's posted here in regards to my camaro.

I have an 85 z28, mostly stock but with some minor changes (carb was changed, not even sure what model/brand, have to check)

Now comes a question. I love my camaro. I love it alot. However, it was my first one, and also my first car. This being said, there was quite a bit I did not look out for. Prime example is the previous owner did alot of mucking around, and he wasn't really proficient at it. His electrical work was shoddy as can be. Luckily between my father and I, we aren't too shabby at the electrical work. Tons of minor things wrong with the car, rust in a few places, nothing TOO severe but defiintely not garaged it's entire life. Was in two accidents now (first was way before I owned the car in 94, bent the frame in the drivers front side a few millimeters) and a few months ago when I was rearended on the way to the beach.. bent the frame on the rear passenger side (both were corrected by my bodyshop.)

Now, given the fact her frame's been bent twice, minorly but still bent and corrected.. + some rust, + the fact that the engine is starting to leak oil into the mix (though I planned to eventually replace the 305 in it with a 350 anyway), add in all the other minor nuisances (heater coil was redone, and not properly.. defrost vents wont kick in and shut off normal vents.... ac was removed for retarded reasoning etc, weather stripping for the doors missing, interior has a crack here and there minor but still there)... I'm not sure what to do with her.

I know most all of it is fixable with some time (though Im not sure what to do regarding the frame straightening, I hear that after being straightened once if it ever needs to be again its unsafe... can anyone clarify?), but this car is my daily driver. Granted I live in NYC and don't need it for work purposes 90% of the time , but I park her on the street and don't exactly have a garage to have parts sitting out around while I repair things.

Honestly gents, I'm torn and hoping you can give some good advice like usual. I love this thing, as much as she may have her nuances, she treats me well. (well.. minus the steering, I'm not having much luck at all finding a replacement for the lower steering shaft.. all worn and I have play in my steering like no tomorrow)

I'd love to keep her and work on it over the years, but in all honesty because it's my daily driver, I'm almost tempted to sell her and look for another 3rd gen in better condition. Not sure what I'll find, considering winter's rolling around (though depending on how bad the winter is here she might wind up being my winter car as well, less I find me a cheap front wheel drive winter beat up car)... In your experience, do most of these cars for sale have similar issues that come up?

I'm all for putting the time in myself to fix her up, but I have to weigh the amount of cash and time necessary.

Am I being silly for wanting to sell her to someone who has more time to dedicate to patching her up? Really nothing majorly wrong with her minus the minor things above, but I am not a mechanic and don't have a garage... not sure what I'll be able to do to her. :P

Thanks in advance,
Bez

Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Advice on what to do with my camaro

Holy crap! I am tooo tired right now to read you mini novel. I read a book to help me go to sleep! I'll be back in the morning

Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Holy crap! I am tooo tired right now to read you mini novel. I read a book to help me go to sleep! I'll be back in the morning
I think I was too tired to write something coherent as well!

Long story short, I'm trying to see if it's worth fixing up the z28 I have or finding another 3rd gen in better shape.

And.. least I can say I helped you sleep!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It would be better if we had some pic's but from what you wrote out, my opinion, would be to finda beater car to drive to work.One of the best places to buya cheap caris at a public auctions sometimes for very little money, drive that while you work on the Camaro.There is a lot you can doto fix and make the frame stronger like frame connectors and strut tower braces if you are worried about it.and as far as garage space, I know here, wereI live, there are places that you can renttheshop space you need to work on your Camaro. I will tell you that there was not a strait panel, some rust and a whole list of other problems on my car when it was first pick up by my old man back in 1998.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Overdrive Member

Well the frame being bent before depends on how serious it was. You should see my car. Suposidly it was wrecked when it was fairly new (as the previous owner told me)but the shop that fixed it did a hack job. I can give you a list of the F*%#ked up ****. But just recently it was creaking real bad so I looked at it and there was two or three cracks in the rail where the steering box is and one on the other side. Plus the other side was never pulled enough and where it pooches the spot welds were broke. But none of that was nothing that could not be welded and now no more noises.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hrm. I'll get some pics with the things that are wrong. All in all, it doesn't sound like it's anything too bad.. just going to be a ton of work to fix up to what I want.

Debating what to fix up first though. .Drop the 350 in and get her performing the way I want, or body work...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Engine work. Then you don't have to worry about damage to the finished areas. Do paint the engine bay while its out though

Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

thats what im doing to my 86 iroc. i've gotta pull out my engine due to #7 cyl. leaking oil in combustion chamber. while its out i plan on cleaning up the whole engine bay. imo take care of the engine stuff first then do the body.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
March 2008 ROTM

agreed. get it mechanically sound and the way you want it first. nothin worse than " MAN THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!" but then you start it up and have a huge cloud of smoke behind you.