Accelerating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Default Accelerating problem?

Ok I have an automatic 87 IROC with a 305, and I don't have a real throttle bracket and so my kick down cable isn't connected to anything.

But up until yesterday it was running fine and now everytime I hit about 30 mph it tacs out and the engine just revs up and I can't get anywhere.

I had my buddy who works at autozone look at it and he said I need a throttle bracket (which I already knew) but its hard to find one used or cheap where I live so is there anyway other way I can fix it temporarliy until I find a bracket?

Because there has to be otherwise it wouldn't have worked right before.

Oh, and I just added some more trans fluid and and it works when I'm in lower second and first just not drive or overdrive so idk what the problem is.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Uh-oh! That "kick down" cable isn't a kick down cable. It's called a TV (Throttle Valve) cable. It controls shift points AND fluid pressure in the transmission. Driving the car with that cable disconnected can burn up the clutches, which will then make it slip, and cause your engine to rev up and not go anywhere. I would have a transmission shop look at it right away. And don't drive it until then, although by now, it might be too late.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Uh-oh! That "kick down" cable isn't a kick down cable. It's called a TV (Throttle Valve) cable. It controls shift points AND fluid pressure in the transmission. Driving the car with that cable disconnected can burn up the clutches, which will then make it slip, and cause your engine to rev up and not go anywhere. I would have a transmission shop look at it right away. And don't drive it until then, although by now, it might be too late.

You gotta be ****tin' me?

Well I've drove it around 25 miles already and it's my only way of transportation.

And I don't really have the money to take it to the shop, I usually just do stuff by hand, is there anyway you could walk me threw a way to check my clutches and such?

And thanks for the help.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

congratulations, you successfully burned up a transmission. and you took the second easiest way to do it. 25 miles sounds about right, that will do it for sure. i can tell you it will cost about $2000 to have a shop rebuild it. the parts aren't expensive, but it is very laber intestive. i personally have rebuilt quite a few automatics with no failures, but you need some special tools and ingenuity to get it done. best bet is a junkyard trans

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There is a clutch pack (clutch disk-metal disk-clutch disk, etc.) inside the trans. Internal pressure is what keeps them packed together so they don't slip on their own. The clutch disks have friction material that will wear down just like a conventional disk on a manual trans, just a different process.
Are you saying you drove it only 25 miles with the cable disconnected?
If the trans was brand new, I wouldn't expect to see it burn up quite that fast. But, if your trans already has high mileage, that probably was just enough to push it over the edge.
Read this: http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-27-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Droid

They never listen, so they never learn.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM

It's actually been droven alot with the cable disconnected.

The guy that owned the car last put a carb on it and never hooked up the tv cable so until the engine started spinning did I actually get it hooked up.

But it's ok, I plan on putting in a trans on my own with my dad. He was a mechanic for about twenty years and has done this before so we should be ok, I just wish the retard that owned the car last actually knew what he was doing inseatd of making em fix every little thing under the hood.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:57 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The TV cable is what controls line pressure in the transmission. Tighter you adjust it, the more line pressure you have. Leaving it disconnected starves the clutch packs of fluid. Think of it like your engine. Would you run it with no oil pressure?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
The TV cable is what controls line pressure in the transmission. Tighter you adjust it, the more line pressure you have. Leaving it disconnected starves the clutch packs of fluid. Think of it like your engine. Would you run it with no oil pressure?

Yeah, I get it. but so It needs to be tight then? Like There's a way to pull more of the line out so should I pull it out as much as I can and then tighten the clamp down on the carb or let it just go where it wants then tighten it?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For proper TV cable setup and adjustment, refer to the link I gave you in my previous post.

Quick Reply: Accelerating problem?