95 Camaro with Very High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Default 95 Camaro with Very High Idle

I have a 95 Camaro V-6 with a high idle that shakes the car.

When I purchase this car used over one year ago... it had a high idle at that time; but now it is substantially worse. No one seemed to know what was causing it.

3 months ago when I was very low on gas...that is when the problem intensified dramatically. I thought it might have been the fuel injectors, so I used "Sea Foam" in four tanks of gas. It helped a little, but not much.

When the car is at a stop... the idle will run smooth as long as it is in neutral or park. It will start chugging or knocking upon acceleration and move forward at low power. It only does this whenever I accelerate. In fact the car shakes with the chugging. Coasting... the engine runs smooth.

It also appears to be eating gas faster than usual although that might be my imagination.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hey there! you could be right. it can be the injectors. If the injectors are bad, using seaform is not going to do anything for ya. injector cleaners are more for preventive measures. If you have a second vehicle, I would park the camaro intill you can get it fixed. driving it wil only screw up more things. i suggest you check the whole entire fuel system starting with the fuel pressure regulator and then work your way back to the injectors then fuel pump. Sounds like the same problem i had a while back. smooth as glass when it would idle, but as soon as i got on the gas it would choke like hell. Turns out for me it was a combo of two clogged injectors and the fuel pump was on its last leg. What ever you decide to do, test each component before you go by anything. injectors arent cheap. good luck!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by slick's camaro
Hey there! you could be right. it can be the injectors. If the injectors are bad, using seaform is not going to do anything for ya. injector cleaners are more for preventive measures. If you have a second vehicle, I would park the camaro intill you can get it fixed. driving it wil only screw up more things. i suggest you check the whole entire fuel system starting with the fuel pressure regulator and then work your way back to the injectors then fuel pump. Sounds like the same problem i had a while back. smooth as glass when it would idle, but as soon as i got on the gas it would choke like hell. Turns out for me it was a combo of two clogged injectors and the fuel pump was on its last leg. What ever you decide to do, test each component before you go by anything. injectors arent cheap. good luck!
I was rather hoping you would say it just needed a good "tune up". LOL!

How much would I expect to pay a mechanic for fuel injectors and a fuel pump out of curiosity?

Also... would a "computerized diagnostic" give me a direct answer for which one of these items might be the problem?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well u got a couple of options here. You could try to send ur injectors off via mail to be cleaned. WWW.injectorrehab.com If I remember correctly. There they can run a flow test and deep clean ur injectors for $27 bucks. Now buying new new ones would be in The upper $300-600 depending a lot on what size and type you select. fuel pump cost about $150. Paying a mechanic to do the work I'm not too sure about but I dnt see it being cheap. Running a diagnosis on your car could indeed pinpoint the problem(s) but ur pcm has to be throwing codes meaning is your check light on? Autozone and most other parts shops do free diagnostics if your engine light is on and will read you your trouble codes if any.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

www.injectors-rehab.com this is the correct address