92 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Default 92 starting problems

Alright, so heres the story, got to my votech class yesterday, car has been running fine the past few days with the exception of a little blue/gray smoke on first start up of the day which didn't used to happen to my recollection.
I get out of class, turn the key, ra-ra-ra-ra.......ra-ra-ra-ra-ra, of course, no start. Well the gas gauge fluctuates a lot in this car and it was at a lil under a 1/4 of a tank so I was thinking maybe it had just fluctuated up and got stuck their when I turned off the car, so my first solution was to get my friend to give me a ride to a gas station. Buy a 2 gallon gas tank and the gas to go with it, I pour it in, try to start it, nothing. So I had my friend (lucky him) help me push start it, for some reason even though the battery was just fine and sounded like it was trying the oush starting got it to kick to life...but only for a good 4 seconds. Tried again a few more times and couldnt keep it lit for a lil more than a few seconds each time. I figure maybe the gas is just sloshing around when we push it which makes it start for a little bit, but it doesn't have enough gas to keep it goin, so we get two more gallons of gas. Still didn't work with the key, even though it sounds perfect except for the absence of the roar of an engine. So we tried push starting again, finally it worked and I drove to a gas station and filled up and it worked perfectly (all gauges were normal, even started with the key) until today when I was on my way to work. I had a bad feeling before the break down even happened because after driving down the road for a bit it cut out for a sec, the only way I could really descirbe it, is it felt like a pebble clogged the fuel line for half a sec then got pushed through and kept running like it was before (even though I'm sure this didnt happen this is what it felt like). Well this happened only once and was then acting normal until I got about a mile away from my work, all of a sudden just died outta nowhere, no chugging or smoke or anything, just dead. So I push it to a parking lot and then run to work lol. After I get out of work I get my dad to pick me up and we take a look at it. Everything seems normal so we tow it back to my house for further diagnostic. After screwing around with it a bit (checking distributor, checking spark plug wire for electricity, fuses, disconnecting battery to reset computer, a pink wire that connects the ignition module to the coil was repaired in two places except without any electrical tape so we thought maybe that was shorting so we fixed that) and then after putting everything back together we go to start it and it actually starts, but its a really deep, choppy sound, and then chugs out along with blackish smok. Then we can't get it to start again. My dad thinks its the ignition module, any ideas?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM

bump?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Droid

Sudden death is usually an electrical problem. Are you getting a nice fat blue spark at the end of the ignition wires? Red/yellow sparks are not hot enough. Ignition componets are more apt to act up when warm. Check for loose/bad power connectors and grounds.

Last edited by z28pete; 05-05-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM

alrighty well here is probably your solution if a car just dies with nothing happening to it your fuel pump has gone out or is going out when they go out they tend to do it in little spurts at a time so sometimes it will start sometimes it will not its loosing pressure and its time for a replacement and to do this you need to lift the car and remove first your drive shaft and then lower the gas tank (remove the sstraps and dissconnect the fuel lines the fuel pump will be in the gas tank you will see a ring on the top part of it remove this ring with a metal pick and it pops right out reinstall in just opposite order

Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM

I appreciate all the help and comments, I love this forum . Turns out it was the ignition module. I shoulda known, good ol' gm electronics...